Transmission outlasted engine ?! - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HEMI | Performance Zone > Induction | Super Chargers, Turbo & Air Intakes

Old 09-03-2007, 08:34 PM   #1

Transmission outlasted engine ?!

So it looks like it's time for a rebuild. (see videos section for piston #5 cracking) Just wondering what everyone's ideas are and who to contact. I did too long of a burn out at about 5 psi boost with part-throttle. (not enough pedal for meth. injection or closed loop). Also hit 6300-6400 RPM on 2-3 shift with stock engine / no programmer?!

FrostKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2007, 09:24 PM   #2

ouch! You ran lean at part throttle and your egt's must've been cookin.
I don't understand how you went past 5800 rpm without a programmer...did the valves float on yah?

rebuild with a forged/billet crank, H-beam rods, and forged/billet pistons. cam is optional, but if you want more power, scour around for a custom turbo grind. Cams with negative overlap are excellent for turbos. Just tell the supplier/cam grinder what kind of power you're lookin for, and if you want more low end /mid range/higher rpm.

Might as well get those heads cleaned up . No doubt there will be dents and dings in the combustion chamber(s). You want those smoothed out because sharp edges will glow hot during operation and possibly lead to preignition/detonation. You can always buy a set of performance heads, and trade in your cores. You can buy bare heads or complete with port job, larger valves and stronger springs and pushrods etc...

Hemi Shop, Sharadon performance, Frank Racing, Ross pistons, Cp pistons, are all good companies.

Don't cheap out on parts, It'll bite you in the ***.......

Then after all that........you'll defenitely have to upgrade the transmission. Its lasted this long for you, but don't be fooled, the clutches won't last long. Sharadon Performance has performance 545 transmissions, and their latest creation, the 58 rfe hybrid, which has diesel components inside the 545 case

it sucks when **** breaks,.....but at least you have an excusde to rebuild
guitarded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 10:03 PM   #3

Thanks for all the info! I have no idea how the RPM shot up that high. I think the stock computer was too slow pulling spark/fuel. All I know the needle was way further than the usual 5700.
FrostKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2007, 10:39 PM   #4

not sure about the computer being too slow.

But to add to the list, you can get parts from Moes metal works, or 3rd strike as well. Take your time with the rebuild. Have your block inspected for cracks. If you plan on increasing displacement, have the machine shop "sonic check" the cylinder walls
Old 09-03-2007, 11:22 PM   #5
Formerly 'Vince'

Well, I have been working out details on my motor build for a while now and I have built myself a price list in excel. I will post a screen shot of what I have right away, I will just edit out details like labour, since its dependant on what shop you go to, and things not associated with the powertrain.

I believe most of these prices are full retail, so if you can get in on a group buy or a sale you could save yourself some cash.
4dhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 11:35 PM   #6
Formerly 'Vince'

Here is the list in US dollars (not that they are much different anymore). I believe its around 30 hrs to remove, rebuild, and reinstall a motor, so you can get a ballpark figure on the labour.

If you are more about price per horsepower then squeezing everything out that you can, you could save about a grand on the crank/rods by not stroking the motor out, and at least $200 by going with the 6.1 cam.

I would seriously suggest studs, and do some research on the cryo treatment b4 you blow it off. I figured it was wasted money when I first heard about it, but after some reasearch I was sold on it.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:38 PM   #7
Formerly 'Vince'

If I am way out on any prices let me know, my hemi is scheduled to go under the knife in 3 weeks!
Old 09-03-2007, 11:47 PM   #8

You Canadian's are having some bad luck with your turbocharged engines, eh? (lol sorry, I just had to do that) I think there are some custom Ross piston's in Denny's shop that are Canadian bound. Who want's to see pictures? There's also a tranny that I rebuilt that is northbound as well.
Hemidup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 11:58 PM   #9

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Vince:
Here is the list in US dollars (not that they are much different anymore). I believe its around 30 hrs to remove, rebuild, and reinstall a motor, so you can get a ballpark figure on the labour.

If you are more about price per horsepower then squeezing everything out that you can, you could save about a grand on the crank/rods by not stroking the motor out, and at least $200 by going with the 6.1 cam.

I would seriously suggest studs, and do some research on the cryo treatment b4 you blow it off. I figured it was wasted money when I first heard about it, but after some reasearch I was sold on it.[/QUOTE

Cryo treating is the ticket.
Hemidup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 12:28 AM   #10

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Hemidup:
You Canadian's are having some bad luck with your turbocharged engines, eh? (lol sorry, I just had to do that) I think there are some custom Ross piston's in Denny's shop that are Canadian bound. Who want's to see pictures? There's also a tranny that I rebuilt that is northbound as well.
no worries...eh I wouldn't call it bad luck, just a learning experience Anyone with the turbo/supercharged kit pushing the envelope on stock motors is destined for breakage.

That would be my trans that's northbound
Any word from edge about a torque converter? Denny said he'd look into it, but I haven't heard from him in a while This message has been edited. Last edited by: guitarded, document.write(''+ myTimeZone('Mon, 03 Sep 2007 21:43:37 GMT-0700', '04 September 2007 12:43 AM')+''); 04 September 2007 12:43 AM