Replaced OEM Intake with Legmaker !! Many Pics (Long) - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HEMI | Performance Zone > Induction | Super Chargers, Turbo & Air Intakes

Old 03-09-2012, 12:35 PM   #1

Let me start with kudos to Chris Harrigan at Legmaker Intakes. What a champion guy. I'm thrilled with my new Legmaker CAI which replaces my OEM Mopar intake. Sorry if this is a bit long. Tools required - flathead screwdriver, 10mm wrench, 13mm wrench.

I bought my '11 Ram 1500 in January 12 and it came equipped with the Mopar CAI. (Note - not confirmed but believe this is the same as the AEM Brute Force intake.) Problem is I found the intake tube was rubbing my new hood liner and damaging it. I contacted my dealer and they looked at it - offered immediately to replace the liner and resolve the rub. Problem is besides the rub I think the Mopar CAI in butt ugly and was interested in replacing the intake tube entirely. I hoped I could do this without having to purchase an entirely new intake. I was!

Enter the HTC forums where I saw the thread on Legmaker intakes. I liked the carbon fiber tube as I have carbon fiber graphics on my hood. I was able to contact Chris Harrigan at LMI and send photos of my OEM intake and seek his advice. He replied by supplying his 90 silicon throttle body coupler and a standard 4" carbon fiber tube. (Parts & shipping were $225.) We hoped this set up would be adaptable to the use of my existing filter and airbox. It was!!

When I removed the Mopar intake I did discover two surprises. I had not looked at the backside of the tube so was surprised to find it bolts to the airbox AND there is an inlet off the back of the tube (see pics) for a crankcase ventilation hose. Pick up the phone in a panic and Chris offered 2 options - return the tube and he would modify it with the intake - or use a simple crankcase intake breather filter. Having already removed the OEM intake I didn't want to wait - opted for the intake filter and moved forward with the Legmaker tube.

The great news is the Legmaker coupler and tube fit my 2011 application like a glove. We feared the tube might be too long but there is enough ability to shove it a bit further into the coupler and/or into the filter to resolve that. Given the OEM tube is angled at the filter attachment and the LMI is not, there is a slight difference in the angle, and the coupler wants to rise up on the side of the TB away from the filter to compensate. By simply pushing the coupler down flat into place around the TB and then tightening in place, that too was resolved.

The end result is a great looking CAI - the carbon fiber tube matches my hood graphics, the rub issue is gone and I've found that the LMI intake has an even deeper, throatier growl than the MOPAR. I could not be happier.

Here's several pics... look close and you can see the breather filter I used ($3.25 at Oreilly's) and I should add Chris even drilled the silicon coupler to relocate the air flow filter back to the OEM location. for some reason with the OEM intake the air filter is moved way down to near the filter. A small extension cable makes that possible, just remove it and reposition the filter into the coupler. Oh, and a spritz of WD40 makes popping that filter out much easier!

OEM Mopar CAI

Hood rub damage

New LMI/Mopar intake

Another look - great looking carbon fiber tube. Look close you can also see the tube with the crankcase breather filter poking out from the filter-end of the tube. That hose normally attaches to an inlet on the back of Mopar tube --

Advertisement

Old 03-09-2012, 12:35 PM   #2

Let me start with kudos to Chris Harrigan at Legmaker Intakes. What a champion guy. I'm thrilled with my new Legmaker CAI which replaces my OEM Mopar intake. Sorry if this is a bit long. Tools required - flathead screwdriver, 10mm wrench, 13mm wrench.

I bought my '11 Ram 1500 in January 12 and it came equipped with the Mopar CAI. (Note - not confirmed but believe this is the same as the AEM Brute Force intake.) Problem is I found the intake tube was rubbing my new hood liner and damaging it. I contacted my dealer and they looked at it - offered immediately to replace the liner and resolve the rub. Problem is besides the rub I think the Mopar CAI in butt ugly and was interested in replacing the intake tube entirely. I hoped I could do this without having to purchase an entirely new intake. I was!

Enter the HTC forums where I saw the thread on Legmaker intakes. I liked the carbon fiber tube as I have carbon fiber graphics on my hood. I was able to contact Chris Harrigan at LMI and send photos of my OEM intake and seek his advice. He replied by supplying his 90 silicon throttle body coupler and a standard 4" carbon fiber tube. (Parts & shipping were $225.) We hoped this set up would be adaptable to the use of my existing filter and airbox. It was!!

When I removed the Mopar intake I did discover two surprises. I had not looked at the backside of the tube so was surprised to find it bolts to the airbox AND there is an inlet off the back of the tube (see pics) for a crankcase ventilation hose. Pick up the phone in a panic and Chris offered 2 options - return the tube and he would modify it with the intake - or use a simple crankcase intake breather filter. Having already removed the OEM intake I didn't want to wait - opted for the intake filter and moved forward with the Legmaker tube.

The great news is the Legmaker coupler and tube fit my 2011 application like a glove. We feared the tube might be too long but there is enough ability to shove it a bit further into the coupler and/or into the filter to resolve that. Given the OEM tube is angled at the filter attachment and the LMI is not, there is a slight difference in the angle, and the coupler wants to rise up on the side of the TB away from the filter to compensate. By simply pushing the coupler down flat into place around the TB and then tightening in place, that too was resolved.

The end result is a great looking CAI - the carbon fiber tube matches my hood graphics, the rub issue is gone and I've found that the LMI intake has an even deeper, throatier growl than the MOPAR. I could not be happier.

Here's several pics... look close and you can see the breather filter I used ($3.25 at Oreilly's) and I should add Chris even drilled the silicon coupler to relocate the air flow filter back to the OEM location. for some reason with the OEM intake the air filter is moved way down to near the filter. A small extension cable makes that possible, just remove it and reposition the filter into the coupler. Oh, and a spritz of WD40 makes popping that filter out much easier!

OEM Mopar CAI

Hood rub damage

New LMI/Mopar intake

Another look - great looking carbon fiber tube. Look close you can also see the tube with the crankcase breather filter poking out from the filter-end of the tube. That hose normally attaches to an inlet on the back of Mopar tube --

Old 03-09-2012, 02:25 PM   #3
David

Garage

ATXHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2012, 03:06 PM   #4
Director Emeritus

Garage
2009 Ram 5.7 HEMI QC 4X4 Laramie - bone stock for now

MrHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:52 AM   #5

Good Job
2003 Silver Ram 2500 Moose SLT QC/LB 4x4 | NV4500-HD 5Speed Manual trans | Tow pkg | Centerline dual friction clutch| 3.73 LS |Borla dual catback |Bilstein Shocks| Billet Grill | 15% Win Tint | Bushwacker color matched flares| Pwr adjustable petals |Superchip| Mopar wheel liners |Ramhammer intake| Mopar alum fuel door | MSD Blaster coils & 8.5 ignition wires |SS nerf bars | Chrome ext handles | Atm graphite tails |Silverstar bulbs| Hurst alum T handle shifter| B&D Short throw Shift kit|

5SpeedHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:55 AM   #6

LMI rocks

1/4 : 12.26 @ 109 NA

www.nadodge.com
dline is offline   Reply With Quote