K&N CAI or should I get a different 1, Is there a Motor cover after CAI Install? - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HEMI | Performance Zone > Induction | Super Chargers, Turbo & Air Intakes

Old 12-30-2015, 02:39 PM   #1

K&N CAI or should I get a different 1, Is there a Motor cover after CAI Install?

Hi, I am leaning toward the Black Plastic piped CAI from K&N, I am not stuck on getting this one and I am open to suggestions for other brands, I want it to function look good and fit well.

Also After I install it is there a cover that I can get to cover the spark plug wires and what not? after removing the Hemi Hat it may look a bit unfinished under there.

Is the CAI annoyingly loud? Is it worth it?

2004 SLT Hemi Black Quad Cab 4WD. SRT-10 Hood, 06 20 Inch Rims SC F5 Tuner, S&B CAI, Power Stop Drilled Slotted tow Package brake kit, Braided Brake Lines, Bilstein Shocks, Helwig Rear Sway Bar and G2 Axle Rear Cover, Detroit Tru Trac rear Diff,Smoked LED Tail Lights, Tinted Windows, All Amsoil Fluid except Torco In rear Diff.
Joe.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2015, 02:51 PM   #2

Lightbulb

Most people are currently recommending using the S&B brand of CAI intake for performance and quality finish. Also most suggest using a connecting tube of a non-metallic variety so it won't act as a heat sink. Personally I liked the Hemi-Hat so I chose to go with the AFE High Breather CAI way back in 2005 and haven't changed it. The only other consideration I had was to use the 'BFI' or 'Ramcharger' or 'Legmaker'...all are variants of the same huge intake and they are no longer available as far as I know...

HemiFun05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 03:09 PM   #3
Greg

Garage
IMO, CAI is something you need for future mods but by itself doesn't do a lot. They do make more noise at WOT, but then so does your exhaust or at least will by the time you get the exhaust the way you want it. And then that'll change as you do other mods. If you stick with one truck long enough you'll find mods will also evolve as you do more and more. I originally bought a used K&N-77 and first insulated it and finally yesterday after years of great service I cut up the tube for the latest edition in mods. So if you can find a good used one, go ahead and buy it.

1# 2017 HTC FASTEST HEMI List....
Current 1/4 mile [email protected] (2018)
Current 60' PB 1.351 (2019) mechanical issue for 1/4m

HTC 2018 TOTY

Support vehicle- 2007 QC G56 4x4 diesel
Redtruck-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2015, 03:14 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtruck-VA View Post
IMO, CAI is something you need for future mods but by itself doesn't do a lot. They do make more noise at WOT

So if you can find a good used one, go ahead and buy it.
I agree with this ^^^
If your all stock it only does good at WOT and by time all that HP it says it increases gets to your wheels it almost nothing. Its a nice noise maker though. Only reason why i got one is because it was used on a guys truck for 2 weeks. His wife made him trade in his HEMI for a camry. It also came with his man card

hemiram13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 03:25 PM   #5

Is the S&B quieter then other CAI? It seems more contained then the typical CAI. Could the glass/Plastic lid be left off?
2004 SLT Hemi Black Quad Cab 4WD. SRT-10 Hood, 06 20 Inch Rims SC F5 Tuner, S&B CAI, Power Stop Drilled Slotted tow Package brake kit, Braided Brake Lines, Bilstein Shocks, Helwig Rear Sway Bar and G2 Axle Rear Cover, Detroit Tru Trac rear Diff,Smoked LED Tail Lights, Tinted Windows, All Amsoil Fluid except Torco In rear Diff.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:36 PM   #6

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe.G View Post
Is the S&B quieter then other CAI? It seems more contained then the typical CAI. Could the glass/Plastic lid be left off?
------------------------------------------
It is very unlikely that there will be much difference in the db level with ANY of the aftermarket CAI's - you will still get the much desired 'sucking noise' with all of those that delete the Hemi-Hat which acts as an air resonator. You will need a better quality (bigger) throttle body to get a little more air in - but as previously mentioned this is not going to give you much without additional flow-through mods...
Just get the CAI you like - many here on HTC end up fabricating their own .
HemiFun05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 04:18 PM   #7
David

Garage
http://www.hemitruckclub.com/forums/...setup-553.html

ATXHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 04:25 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe.G View Post
Ive heard on the 4th gen trucks the S&B is quieter than the K&N. I have the K&N on my 4th gen and it was or sure noticeable. But then again, I like loud and obnoxious...

hemiram13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 04:44 PM   #9

It just looks like the design of the S&B would lead it to be quieter then the open style, I would like to get some sort of cover to hide the top of the motor Plug wires and what not.
Old 12-30-2015, 04:59 PM   #10
Greg

Garage
Of course it is a personal preference, I like mine uncovered and accessible for easy maintenance.

1# 2017 HTC FASTEST HEMI List....
Current 1/4 mile [email protected] (2018)
Current 60' PB 1.351 (2019) mechanical issue for 1/4m

HTC 2018 TOTY

Support vehicle- 2007 QC G56 4x4 diesel
Redtruck-VA is offline   Reply With Quote