good kit? - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HEMI | Performance Zone > Induction | Super Chargers, Turbo & Air Intakes

Old 05-19-2008, 09:43 PM   #1

good kit?

Im open to ideas, but dont know if anyone has what im looking for. Im looking at all the post on the forum and it seems like everyone is having a heck of a time tunning our trucks with any type of turbo/superchager. But i really want to go this route are there any turbo/or superchager kits that are not having a promblem getting tune? So could anyone lead me to a good kit to start looking at. That would also be user frindly thanks

slowsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2008, 10:18 PM   #2

good kit?

turbo guys seem to have the best luck, and as far as tunning, it seems to be getting better... SCT is available for us, just be sure to include the price in the budget...price of the tuner, and cost for dyno tunning with a SCT rep to get it right.
madcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 07:29 PM   #3

good kit?

Either Supercharger, or turbo can be properly tuned easily with a stand alone system.

It only gets difficult when trying to tune a turbo, or supercharger using the factory computer still in place (i.e SMT6). As mentioned, SCT is the latest breakthrough in tuning boosted hemis.

The major difference between the forced induction kits is fuel delivery. Both have at one point used auxilliary injectors, but the turbo kits have done away with it, and successfully using larger injectors in place of the factory injectors. Many are doing the same with the supercharger kits as well.

If you want to make more power...go with a turbo kit
guitarded is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2008, 11:51 AM   #4

good kit?

My 04 hemi with sts turbo has been a biotch to tune.

The original aux injector did not work well.

The smt-6 had many street driving issues with my truck, but many have it and they work fine.

Then I tried the SCTFlash tuner from hemifever.

With either tuner I use 58# Ford Cobra SVT blue injectors and a 2bar map sensor.

Once set up right with an srt4 2bar map sensor, it ran great for 2-3 weeks, then had issues just like the smt-6.

Hemifever tried something that (as far as I know) never had to be done before on any of his tunes, and this morning it passed all tests.

Seems my 04, built in 08/03 has a different set of parameters in the pcm and it wouldn't work well with the normal tunes after some time.

We'll see, but this time I'm optimistic.
kenihemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 12:46 PM   #5

good kit?

what sort of issues with the SCT?

Do I need to switch to the srt4 map sensor in place of my current gm map sensor?
Old 05-22-2008, 06:52 PM   #6

good kit?

Steve,

My initial issues were the idle would rev up and down and A/F would follow. Very unstable on the street in slow driving.

Put in the srt4 map (per hemifever's suggestion) and it worked fine for 2+ weeks then I got a new problem.

My issues now were the A/F swinging super lean then super rich only when coasting and slowing down for a stop or turn.

I'm not talking about a boosted run or anything, just normal old man (like me) street driving.

Sometimes the AF would go into the 40's or 50's and sometimes it would just stall. Not good. I'd lose power steering without a warning.
No codes, nothing.

Sean tried various tunes and they didn't work, the he pulled one out of his bag of tricks and I put the tune in this morning.

Now all is fine again.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:35 PM   #7

good kit?

My truck has also had a few glitches in the past. Just recently I installed a relay to start the truck off the factory MAP sensor, not the 2 bar. This has REALLY smoothed out the idle, AF ratios, tranmission behaviour. Never has a barometric code regardless of SMT-6 numbers on the first row.
FrostKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:36 PM   #8

good kit?

That's good to hear Ken!

I gotta get my butt in gear tomorrow and put the turbo back on, remove the smt6, and start using the SCT.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:43 PM   #9

good kit?

Steve, I'm pretty optimistic this time.

Had the truck out today and ran some errands.

Street driving and a couple times gave it some throttle a couple of times and made 1-2# of boost and lifted.

No codes/stalling/limp modes, etc.

My finger are crossed.