get rid of mds - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HEMI | Performance Zone > Induction | Super Chargers, Turbo & Air Intakes

Old 01-27-2008, 05:11 PM   #1

get rid of mds

has anyone figured out a way to get rid of mds i was able to find a way for me not the hear it but when i put the cai on the tb now i hear it often the way i got rid of it before was to take it out of overdrive,we need to find a way to get rid of it for good

hemimike06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2008, 06:25 PM   #2
Board of Directors

Garage
get rid of mds

There is what they call the MDS Delete performance cam and replacement lifters for the MDS cylinders. I don't know what else would be needed. Pretty expensive though. We need a way to turn off MDS with our programmers.

http://www.moparsupercenter.com/5-7l...0.html?cat=558
HemiByrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 06:32 PM   #3

get rid of mds

You can also put it in tow/haul to get rid of MDS.
I took out my CAI because MDS seemed to kick in more often. Hope a tuner comes out with a MDS disable function. (fingers crossed)
kingin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2008, 07:00 PM   #4
Board of Directors

Garage
get rid of mds

I think this is a pretty good explanation of how MDS works. Of course PM got the starting year for MDS wrong. They say 2005 in the article.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...26.html?page=3
HemiByrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 08:29 PM   #5

get rid of mds

Personally, as long as MDS is saving me $$ at the pump than I really don't care what kind of noise it makes. I have an ebay cai (low) and a magnaflow exhaust (turndowns right out of the muffler, roughly mid-truck) that is pretty loud. Only thing I notice when MDS kicks in is the exhaust note gets a little deeper, and not so much that it annoys.

I wish that I had more direct control over the MDS just so I could run it most of the time in traffic. Honestly, I could accelerate just fine on 4 cyl. to 35-40 mph, and would probably burn less gas in the process. I average 14.5 mpg (according to the trucks computer), and I really wonder how much better or worse it would be if I wasn't using all 8 cyl. just to get up to city traffic speeds.

Thoughts anyone.........?
HEMI-FLASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 08:35 PM   #6

get rid of mds

I wish the MDS would kick in more often. On my trip up to school today(260 miles), with it on cruise control, I averaged 17.5 mpg. The MDS would kick in only on slight downhill grades. If it was flat it would go back to 8. If I used my foot, I could keep it in 4 cylinder and it shot up 20+ easily, but my leg started aching after 20 minutes. I know that it has the power to stay in MDS longer, I just hope it is because I reset the PCM thing after my intake and it will relearn to stay in MDS mode. Before when it was stock I would get 19.5 easy with the cruise.
sideslide4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 11:04 PM   #7

get rid of mds

MDS is not the problem its the Aftermarket CAI intakes, certain ones make it very noticable and some less. For example my oppinnion AEM Bruteforce with dryflow filter is quiet MDS dosnt get that annoying, K&N on the other hand is annoying I just removed my K&N 63-1533 and put the stock airbox back on. And I dont think I will ever install the K&N ever again (its for sale pm me), AEM I might, but without the TB spacer though. With the stock airbox MDS isnt bad at all and the truck runs about the same power wise.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:20 PM   #8

get rid of mds

I have a CAI and i dont here any mds sound except a quick sucking noise when it first goes into 4 cylinder mode. I sure as hell here mds threw my exhaust, but doesnt bother me. What kind of sound are you hearing?
HoustonHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:16 PM   #9

get rid of mds

i am hearing it threw the exhaust i would love to hear the sound of air sucking in but exhaust is louder then the sucking
hemimike06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:37 PM   #10

get rid of mds

What CAI are you using AEM Bruteforce isnt bad at all, its the K&N thats loud annoying.