EGR Baffle - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HEMI | Performance Zone > Induction | Super Chargers, Turbo & Air Intakes

Old 02-24-2008, 11:24 PM   #1

EGR Baffle

So for any new comers here I figured I would make a short post about the baffles. If you have installed an aftermarket CAI, you may have noticed a "ticking" sound. This is very common. There is a part that somebody came up with to remedy this problem. It is a permanent solution with no ill effects to anything, just stops that annoying sound.

Hemi Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2008, 11:31 PM   #2
Board of Directors

Garage
EGR Baffle

Duane carries them at 3rd Strike.

http://3rdstrike.biz/cart/index.php?...88b7ed15471e8d
HemiByrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:16 AM   #3

EGR Baffle

Thanks for the link Dave. Duane's link says they are unavailable BUTTT PM him for details. We can still get them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2008, 09:41 AM   #4

EGR Baffle

I had ill effects with them. Not only did I throw codes, but had major pinging at the top of 2nd, for which KR killed my power and it took forever to hit 3rd. There are legitimate and explainable reasons for this. Suffice it to say that removing the baffle cured the problems for me. I'm happy to live with the tick now.

Granted, my experience is in the minority...YMMV.
Scion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:41 AM   #5

EGR Baffle

just unplug the valve unit...you get a code but no ill effects.

if you blank it and leave the plug in the pcm give too much spark advance...so they say
SouthernComfortHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:50 PM   #6

EGR Baffle

First time I heard of any problems attributed to the baffle. I had mine installed for 300+ miles and its working great.

Scion- was the one you installed one that you made or was it one from Duane? I'm just curious, not trying to blame anybody for yours going wrong, just seeing if it was what most of the other people are running.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:15 PM   #7

EGR Baffle

Mine came from the original mfr of these on this site (name witheld), which I believe are the ones Duane is carrying.

Understand, this is nothing against the maker, and his support was just fine, as is the quality of the product. I just wanted to relate my experience for context sake. It's worth noting that not every vehicle reacts the same to certain changes.
Scion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 09:21 AM   #8

EGR Baffle

Food for thought. This is from a long time Dodge dyno tech.

Quote:
quote:The EGR baffle is a bad idea because normally when EGR gases are introduced into combustion they slow the burn rate of the air/fuel mixture way down which requires the spark advance to be increased significantly. When the EGR baffle is installed the EGR valve and the engine do not know that the actual flow of EGR gases have been reduced, so the result is way to much spark advance for a given engine speed and load.

What most people who are not familiar with mapping a spark advance surface for a modern fuel injected engine do not realize is that for every engine speed and load there is a optimum spark advance setting which is called MBT (minimum spark advance for best torque.) If the spark advance is advanced beyond MBT (optimum spark advance) the engines torque output is reduced. So in short running too much spark advance is just as bad as running too little spark advance.

The other thing that needs to be understood is that it is possible to be way over spark advanced with no signs of spark knock or detonation. Although this is usually only at part throttle it is also possible at WOT when using high octane fuel because as you advance past MBT (optimum) spark advance the engine's torque is reduced which lowers cylinder pressures which decrease the chance for spark knock or detonation.
SilsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 12:11 PM   #9

EGR Baffle

Ah...this is very true..HOWEVER..there is a simple solutioh I have metioned before.

IF the erg valve is left in place but the elecirics are not connected the ecu does not change the spark advance as it thinks there is a foult with the valve unit.

YES it does give you a code but you gwt all the other benefits.

Better pickup and NO NOISE.
SouthernComfortHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 03:12 PM   #10

EGR Baffle

I had the EGR baffle up til about a year ago. I went down to Englishtown NJ for a swap meet and my truck died on me. The truck went into limp mode and I had to drive aound at 10-20mph to find a dealer. Luckly I did. Had to leave truck there and come to find out the EGR was bad. Was covered under warrenty. Not saying the baffle was the cause, but could have been part of the problem. Just my 2 cents.
JMF05QCHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote