Couple of turbo tuning issues, help wanted. - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HEMI | Performance Zone > Induction | Super Chargers, Turbo & Air Intakes

Old 07-29-2007, 02:34 AM   #1

Couple of turbo tuning issues, help wanted.

Just a couple of relatively minor bugs that are starting to get on my nerves. First of all my truck wants to idle at 1800 rpm while at low speeds. If I pop it into neutral while rolling, the engine will actually maintain 1600-2000 rpm bouncing up and down. Cruising around it really pushes and requires a lot more braking effort than I am comfortable with. This seemed to coencide with a 180* stat that I installed (modified for 185*). When at a stop, in gear or park/neutral, the rpm is normal. Would this be the truck trying to warm up further via a fast idle??(not while parked though)

Second issue is related to spraying meth./water on 8 psi boost before the throttle body. The more methanol I use, the more unstable the truck gets.(on a weekly scale) After a run the truck will wildly swing between 11 and 17-20+ AFR. Even after a short burst around town, the same will happen. I'm leaning towards the factory O2 sensors overheating at the track causing the fuel control loss, but this wouldn't be the case around town. And my wideband has never glitched and shows the problem when the engine begins to buck. It gets bad enough where the engine will starve and sputter badly waiting in line and staging at the track (almost stalling). Could this be an issue with blowing methanol through the throttle body, screwing with the TPS? How about pooling of meth. inside the intake? In fact I am getting the same results now with no meth. and 3psi boost.

I disassembled the throttle body tonight and found everything spotless inside drive section. I just can't reason why fuel delivery would almost completely stop for 5-10 seconds after a good blast down the road. This is only coming to a stop, there are no problems during hard acceleration.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

FrostKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2007, 11:00 AM   #2

how rich is your AFR while spraying meth, my truck will do the same rough running if while i am sprayin nos the nos runs out and I run rich for a second, I have to reset the computer to get is to run properly again, as for the other problems I cant help you
sdogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 12:50 PM   #3

The high idle problems sound like tuning issues in the smt-6.

Don't know squat about meth, Hemifever does.
kenihemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2007, 06:45 PM   #4

I don't think the smt-6 can affect the idle speed or throttle position. I just finished running my wastegate reference up to the throttle body after the meth nozzle instead of the compressor outlet. I'm going the test everything out tonight and log as much data as possible.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:51 PM   #5

Good luck with it hopefully you can get the bugs worked out. Too bad your having problems as your truck seemed to run well while you at the GTG.
Canadian Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:12 AM   #6

I had an idle problem and it was caused by the tune. Mine was a little different, the idle would jump up and down and sometime stall.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:50 PM   #7

Was specifically in the tune was causing that? The first row of the fuel map?
Old 07-31-2007, 06:17 AM   #8

Are you using the smt6 to control your meth?
hemifever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:13 AM   #9

Yes. I'm using the larger nozzle that came with the kit, the original injection map sent in the unit with the multiplier column set to all 1.00 (MAP column I believe)

Without testing on a dyno, I haven't been able to feel a difference making any changes or switching between 75%meth and 50% meth mixtures.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:02 PM   #10

Yeah, my tune problems were with the bottom row, 1st 3 or 4 numbers on the fuel map.
I was trying to tune by ltft, but found I needed to push that a little.

Actually, hemifever and srt10kllr told me what to look for.