CAI questions - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HEMI | Performance Zone > Induction | Super Chargers, Turbo & Air Intakes

Old 01-31-2008, 05:06 PM   #1

CAI questions

Hey guys, I have some CAI questions for the pros here....

My buddy has an 04 HEMI Ram QC 4X4 w/ 3.92s.
We have already tuned it in bone stock condition as part of our Beta testing here.
The truck is still slow as hell. (Although it makes great power)
It really moves out nicely in the mid to upper rpms, but the low end leaves a bit to be desired.
I know its a big heavy truck, but I feel like it is being seriously restricted by the stock induction.

I know from our testing here that adding a good flowing intake will lean the A/F out by almost a full point (a trend we have seen on cars and trucks), which tells me there is certainly a good amount of power to be had from a nice CAI.
He has a set of Pacesetter ceramic coated longtubes (Thanks Duane!!) that will be going in soon as well, with a custom true dual setup.

We plan to do a CAI as well, but I have a few questions first.
The CAI we are seriously considering is the Vararam. I am a huge Vararam fan after seeing the truly impressive gains put up by several local Vettes after installing their snake charmer kit. (+3-4 mph in the 1/4 mile).
At the same time...its not a cheap kit.
In fact, I have been pushing him to look at something in the way of the Airaid Jr. kit to hold him over, as I feel that just running straight to the throttle body will be a great gain for now, until he can put some money together for the Vararam.

So this leads me to what I want to hear from you guys....is anyone using the Vararam, and does anyone have some solid performance feedback after using this set up?
Also, does anyone have any input regarding the Airaid Jr.?

While I'm on this topic....has anyone converted to a car 5.7 intake with the front mounted throttle body, or is this prohibited due to the front accessory set up on the trucks?
It just looks like it would be a better intake as far as performance.

Thanks in advance, all input is appreciated.

Mike

Mike@Diablosport is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2008, 05:21 PM   #2

CAI questions

Hey Mike, I had the Vararam set, one of the first out, and I wasn't that impressed for the amount of money they charge for the kit. I had alot of trouble with the intake tubes getting water in them and also collapsing on the right side with that said I understand they have made improvements on the intake tubes. I'm running AEM knock off from ebay, $60.00 and it performs really well. The 3rdStirke intake is a good performer also, I have heard nothing but good comments about it.
Hopes this helps, I'm sure there will be some more comments to help you out
GoManGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 06:04 PM   #3

CAI questions

Yeah, I have been looking into this recently, and I saw all the posts concerning the build quality of the Vararam, but I recall seeing that they stepped it up and offered free upgrades to most that had the older versions of the kits, which I thought was pretty cool.
I'm still considering contacting them directly as I have a contact there who has been super helpful to my Vette boys, but I like unbiased opinions, if you know what I mean....

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2008, 06:10 PM   #4

CAI questions

There customer service is outstanding, they offered the upgrade kit or my money back, I opted for the full refund and they refunded with no problems. It may be worth the money now with the upgrades
GoManGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:48 PM   #5

CAI questions

Mike, you could also take a look at the Ramhammer CAI. 5speedhemi (Stan) is currently running that one. There's no way you'll be able to max that thing out.

Personally, I've got my doubts about the Vararam on the HEMI. Some of the comments I've seen posted from the company about users not seeing significant gains for several weeks sound like pure BS. Our computers do not take nearly that long to adapt.

Plenty of people like the 3rd Strike intake, too. Good bang for the buck.
Freeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 02:23 AM   #6

CAI questions

Mike, could have sworn there was a previous post where someone over at DTW did a track comparison of both the Ramhammer and the Vararam. The numbers were so close as I recall, but the in the end it was Vararam at the track, Ramhammer for the everyday world.

The Hemi store has the AFE Magnum Force and Mark did a review and dyno run with it, good performer. I have it and like alot.

Duanes CAI at 3rd strike has to be the best bang for the buck. Good look'n and good performing. Lots have posted their pic's here after their installs. Very nice.

Good luck.
Hemi317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:16 AM   #7

CAI questions

RamHammer, simple and as good or better of a performer as any other out there. I run the AEM Brute Force, but is basically an overpriced 3rd strike style (bought it before joining here). I wouldn't want you to spend too much time tuning on the Vararam, not many around here use it anyways.
madcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 12:11 PM   #8

CAI questions

Awesome feedback guys, thanks.
Feel free to keep it coming.

BTW, any input at all regarding the LX 5.7 intake manifold?

Thanks
Mike
Old 02-01-2008, 05:38 PM   #9

CAI questions

the 6.1 intake could be installed on our motors.
the boys at "The Hemi Shop" can help you out on that scenario..
Solar_Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:02 AM   #10

CAI questions

ramhammer!
dline is offline   Reply With Quote