CAI and shift kits - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HEMI | Performance Zone > Induction | Super Chargers, Turbo & Air Intakes

Old 03-31-2008, 10:25 PM   #1

CAI and shift kits

I have two questions that are somewhat unrelated. First, I've heard that CAI on a hemi doesn't really work without computer modification because its drive by wire compensates for any changes in air flow and temp. Anyone know anything about this? Also I've noticed many times that when I floor it when I'm going 45+ mph it seems like the tranny is "thinking" too long to decide how to downshift. What happens is I floor it, wait a full second, then once it decides to downshift for full throttle it launches hard. Why is this occurring and would a shift kit (transgo?) remedy this?

MagnumForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2008, 10:40 PM   #2

CAI and shift kits

CAI are not a problem,.. but as a recommendation you should install a better exhaust so everything can exit better.

As for the delay in the shifting,.. that is torque management, if you were to get a Superchips programmer you won't feel that "lag" anymore. It firms up the shifting and improves performance.
mudchucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:45 PM   #3

CAI and shift kits

hmmm...
Question #1: does a CAI require a programmer to add benefits? NO, absolutely not. A good exhaust however would benefit any "More air in, more air out" theories. Reset your ECM during the CAI install, to benefit from the cooler denser air that will be made available.

Question #2: Tranny hesitation. I feel the same thing at various speeds. I don't know that a transgo kit would fix it.. i could be wrong.. i believe the function of a shift kit would be to firm up the shifts. Never heard of anyone qualifying them to help with down shift quickness.
madcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2008, 10:56 PM   #4

CAI and shift kits

What about the aftermarket torque converters like APS units that are supposed to be more efficient in getting more HP to the wheels than stock converters. I hear the stock units suck up a lot of our 345 HP, more % of engine power than most other trucks. Any info?
MagnumForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:07 AM   #5

CAI and shift kits

#1 drive by wire has nothing to do with airflow into the engine or temperature it is simply a way to move the throttle by means of a motor by sendint an electrical input to the pcm from the APPS and makes a calculation to open the throttle in relation to pedal position, the Map sensor is there for that reason, we have a speed density setup on the hemis, so airflow is calculated by the pcm using the map, tps, iat, and other input devices and compares them to one another. And putting a CAI does not mean you have a lot more air entering the engine, it means you have more dense air which oxygen is the outcome, you have more OXYGEN entering the engine so we can then add more fuel for more power, not AIR MASS it self unless you were forced induction or ram-air. Resetting the pCm because of colder air entering is not going to do a darn thing, the PCM makes calculations everytime that air even enters the engine using the MAP sensor, TPS, IAT and other inputs as described.

2-the only aftermarket shift kit available that im aware of right now is the Transgo shift kit, it is a very simple install and basically stiffens up the accumulator springs for less flow used to push on the accumulators and therefore more flow goes directly to the clutches for a more firm apply, along with a resistor that you solder in the linepressure sensor harness to boost pressure, now if you are using superchips and you are running the 93 octane setting it will be okay to install the resistor from the shift kit because the 93 setting actually reduces line pressure in the transmission so the resistor will help boost it back to normal, any other setting with the resistor is not recommended but ive talked to sharadon performance, and they use both the SCs and the resistor, the shift kit from transgo is okay, i have one, it is definintely alot better than stock after the TCM finally learned the new shift schedules it is pretty firm but i wanted down right harsh shifts, so i bought the Stage III valvebody from sharadon performance because i want my kneck to almost break when it shifts, plus sharadon fixes the problem a step further than transgo does with the accumulator cover plate, i noticed that they go ahead and drill the extra holes for more strength because the RFEs have problems with those coverplates breaking and the screws stripping. The shift kit is a cheap mod about $70, and the VB is 350+250 refundable core charge.
JohnnywithaHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote