Alch./Water Injection on STS turbo - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HEMI | Performance Zone > Induction | Super Chargers, Turbo & Air Intakes

Old 01-07-2007, 05:44 PM   #1

Alch./Water Injection on STS turbo

Hey, I have a few questions for the guys running STS turbos on their Hemi trucks.

1. Would the unused 9th injector port be best for the water nozzle or would closer to the turbo be better?

2. Am I able to use the SMT-6 'injection' map to drive the STS Meth/Alcohol/Water system? Directly or with an amplifier of sorts?

3. At would boost level should the alcohol/water be started? (testing would be the obvious answer)

4. I've read on ricer sites about using washer fluid and the stock reservoir, would the added colors and other ingredients plug up the nozzle?

That's all the comes to mind at this time, I'm sure I'll have more, though, soon.

Thanks for any help that you guys can give me.

FrostKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2007, 06:20 PM   #2

Yes, the smt will run the injection without any addins.

The rest of questions should be directed to hemifever. He is the guru.
kenihemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 08:19 PM   #3

I have only used "Turbo Power" windshield washer fluid, and so my answers are based !

I'm using the 9th port for the meth nozzle with no trouble.

don't spray 100% under 5 psi, you will choke the motor on the 1-2 shift. I tested this using the supplied pressure switch. You csn use the stock reservoir as it holds more fluid.

The Smt6 drives the meth injection just fine

Watch your AFR. Introducing meth, requires tuning. Hemifever will tell you that meth burns stoich 6:1, so becareful not to lean out your fuel map too much!
guitarded is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2007, 09:22 PM   #4

If you use a boost referenced linear controller, I would start the w/m right were your egt's start to go up under boost. Anything below that, you'll show a lack in performance.
Hemidup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:51 PM   #5

On my 13.2 pass, I had the controller set to come on 25% at 4 psi, and 100% at 8 psi. Prior to installing the kit, my Egts started increasing above 8psi. But thats with the intercooling........

FrostKing, are you using an intercooler, or are you soley relying on the meth to keep things cool?
Old 01-07-2007, 10:05 PM   #6

No intercooler at this time....

I don't plan on running above 8 psi, although that may change in the future. First I need to loose the 3.55 gears and get some rims/tires.

On a side note relating to my 3.55s and open rear end. I always use to do a pegleg burnout where-ever, when-ever. Now, if I'm pointed straight, both tires always hook when the boost hits. Even in the wet, the truck will spin both. Weird, huh??
Old 01-07-2007, 10:32 PM   #7

You're gonna need meth at 5 psi...... Start tuning it in "rich" and lean it out from there.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:39 PM   #8

Tune it with fuel only and then add the w/m.
Hemidup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 06:29 AM   #9

You will need a relay to push the meth pump with the smt6. If you get the STS meth system, it'll come with the perfect relay.

A lot of us run the 3.6psi wg spring for low boost. That's good for folks w/o an i/c and there is no need to spray meth. When you flip to high boost (7 or 8psi), then you can activate the meth pump and start spraying meth around 3 or 4psi and bring it on however you like with the smt6.

You can run windshield washer fluid but get the stuff with the most methanol. Usually that's the defroster type. I'd recommend getting Snow Performance's boost juice rather than that though. But...nothing cools like actualy full fledged Meth with water. I'd recommend a 75/25 or 80/20 mixture.

And as hemi2nv said, tune your engine with fuel then bring on meth. If you want an 11.5 a/f, do it with fuel and you get what you get spraying meth.
hemifever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 07:04 PM   #10

I've read that aiming for 11.5 AFR with meth is possible by reading Lambda instead of AFR on the gauge. The meth's ideal combustion won't affect that reading. I don't plan on doing it as I see that as playing with fire.

I just put the 3.6# W.G. spring 10 minutes ago. Much easier to drive now as I don't have to 'drift' in and out of traffic, I can just change lanes.

I haven't looked too closely at the STS meth. kit I bought, yet. I assume the solid state relay provided can come off the SMT directly?