Hemi Truck Club banner

Timing Chain Tensioner

6K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  06HemiMike 
#1 ·
06 Ram with 90,000 miles. The timing chain is stretched beyond belief and it ate the tensioner, well at least half of it. I have been running no power adders or mods to the engine. The only thing I have done is switch to RP 5w20 and change it at 7k-9k intervals based on how it looks. There was no warning or noise for the failure that I could hear before it happened. Any thoughts? I am considering a total rebuild due to the amount of filings in the oil and behind the timing cover. I have pics if you are interested in seeing them.

See less See more
#2 ·
06 Ram with 90,000 miles. The timing chain is stretched beyond belief and it ate the tensioner, well at least half of it. I have been running no power adders or mods to the engine. The only thing I have done is switch to RP 5w20 and change it at 7k-9k intervals based on how it looks. There was no warning or noise for the failure that I could hear before it happened. Any thoughts? I am considering a total rebuild due to the amount of filings in the oil and behind the timing cover. I have pics if you are interested in seeing them.

#4 ·
Ideally a Timing Chain should last the life of the engine. Severe oil starvation or a gross manufacturing defect are the only things that are likely to cause chain failure.

#5 ·
Strange this is the first time I have heard of an engine runing RP that has had a oil related failure.

#6 ·
I certainly don't blame RP. I do agree with Jay that the timing chain should last the life of the engine. I also agree that oil starvation could have been the problem. I had a sludge issue at around 40k miles. I was still using conventional oil at the time and let an oil change go for about 4200 miles. After that I switched over to RP. Had a dip in oil pressure after the last change and I shut it down. Waited 10 minutes or so and started it back up with no problem and oil pressure held good. I think it may have had some crud in the pan that got sucked up the pickup tube. 3 weeks passed and this happened.

I am hoping that the rod and main bearings didn't get tore up. I will be pulling some of the rod caps while it is in the truck to see. I assume that it won't be too hard to replace the rod bolts if the bearings are ok.

#7 ·
I assume that it won't be too hard to replace the rod bolts if the bearings are ok.
What choo mean, Vern?

#9 ·
Originally posted by 06HemiMike:
The service manual I have says not to reuse the connecting rod bolts.
My 03 manual say's they are to be replaced whenever they have been fully torqued and loosened.

#10 ·
Well I definately found the cause. The oil galley in the upper portion of the block was full of sludge. This was left by the conventional oil that was used in the first half of this engines life. It had the oil slinger completely blocked off. I found a good amount of copper imbedded in the sludge so I know that the cam bearings are shot. I am going to do a complete rebuild for sure now. Any suggestions for some performance parts to add in? Cost is not really a concern.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.