Hemi Truck Club banner

Synthetic Trans fluid!

4K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  BigART 
#1 ·
Has anyone switched to Synthetic Tranny fluid?? I'm looking at Amsoils and wondering if its a good idea and can i just do a regular fluid change without getting all the old fliud out???

#2 ·
The atf+4 is synthetic.So i don't think there be much of an advantage changing brand's.I remember reading someone post that the atf+4 had the best heat protection of all the brand's.I haven't had to change mine yet so i haven't done much research on the subject.Maybe someone who has will chime in.Also have read that if you don't want to do the flush,that if you drive the truck up on ramp's you'll get 11qts. or so to drain out.(most of it)

#4 ·
Yes, ATF+4 is already a synthetic but there are varying qualities of synthetics. I would put Royal Purple, Redline, and Amsoil synthetic ATF's in a level above and beyond your average ATF+4.

It is the same thing as say the OE rear diff fluid. The OE 75W-140 is a decent synthetic gear lube. Just not in the same league as offerings from the likes of Royal Purple or Amsoil.

#5 ·
Originally posted by NashvilleHemi:
Has anyone switched to Synthetic Tranny fluid?? I'm looking at Amsoils and wondering if its a good idea and can i just do a regular fluid change without getting all the old fliud out???
Yes you can.

After you change it out a few times you'll have all the old pretty much gone. Honestly it's not hard to do a complete flush.

#6 ·
So the Amsoil trans fluid is ok to use in the Ram even thou it can be used in other makes also??

#7 ·
Yes.

Other ATF's can be used in more makes and models.

You have to meet the specifications. AMSOIL's is formulate so well it meets a wider base of requirements then any others.

#8 ·
Have to thoroughly agree with you BigART. I'vee been an Amsoil dealer for years. "ALL" of Amsoil's products meet or exceed the requirements of all OEM requirements. What I have done for years, pertaining to changing out the tranny fluid and also recommend to others who ask me the same question - I flush "everything" out when I change the tranny fluid. Additionally, like the Chevy's Allison tranny, make sure you change the exterior filter. My personal opinion, but due to the length of time between fluid changes, I want to ensure I get "all" the crud out in one flush so when I have the fluid checked every six months, the older, left over fluid, wont't give me a false reading on the test.

#9 ·
Originally posted by NashvilleHemi:
So the Amsoil trans fluid is ok to use in the Ram even thou it can be used in other makes also??
Having just bought my 1500 recently, the dealer tried to sell me the lifetime oil change. Told them I would do it myself, using Amsoil. Salesman told me it would void the warranty. Told him I would "welcome" the dealership to try and void the warranty because Amsoil meets or exceeds all fluids or oils you can put in your vehicle regardless if it's a truck, car, motorcycle, etc. So yes, you can us Amsoil in a Ram. I've used in it both of my Mercedes that I bought for my wife all the way down to using it in my riding lawnmower and weed-eater.

#10 ·
I had a Ford dealership tell one of my customers that and so I told him to tell them to write it on his invoice. Man did they get in a lot of trouble with AMSOIL. They sent out one of those nasty grams with legal jargon and you'll be sued if you defer one of our customers again letters. It was great!

#11 ·
Just make sure that you have it well documented on all your oil changes and you'll have nothing to worry about!

#12 ·
Also, if you order products directly from AMSOIL they keep track of your purchases in case you lose a receipt.

#13 ·
I definatly need to get mine done on both the Ram and my Monte!! Hoping to get it done around tax time!
I like TooCool's suggestion about the ramps.
Don't think i want to try to flush it myself bc i know i'll make a big mess!

#14 ·
It's actually really simple to flush it and isn't messy to do. You really need to people though.

#15 ·
Finally changed the ATF.. Only got 7 quarts out with the truck on ramps!! Wonder if it werent high enough..

#17 ·
Originally posted by BigART:
I had a Ford dealership tell one of my customers that and so I told him to tell them to write it on his invoice. Man did they get in a lot of trouble with AMSOIL. They sent out one of those nasty grams with legal jargon and you'll be sued if you defer one of our customers again letters. It was great!
I think this is the letter you might be talking about:

How does using AMSOIL synthetic motor oil affect new vehicle warranties?

Answer: Using AMSOIL synthetic motor oil has no affect on vehicle warranties. A federal law called the Magnuson-Moss Act (1975) prevents original equipment manufacturers from putting conditions on vehicle warranties attached to any product or service identified by brand, trade or corporate name, unless the manufacturer provides that product or service free of charge. This means consumers have the freedom to use aftermarket products of their choice without fear of losing the original limited or implied vehicle warranty. For additional information, contact the AMSOIL Technical Department at (715) 399-TECH (8324) or tech@amsoil.com.

Basically this is applicable when it comes to new vehicles. I say that because some of the mods I want to make to my 2012 Laramie with only 287 miles on it are being sold by the Dealer. However every time I find something I want to add to the truck, the service dept informs me it will void the warranty. So the law is not just applicable to only oils, etc.

I'm almost at the point of giving the dealer a copy of the Magnuson-Moss Act and then file a formal complaint. If you want to find more specific info on the act, just Google it. Furthermore, there are very few service departments/service managers who have never heard of this law.

#18 ·
That's the sum of it.

It's a little nastier then that actually.

Don't let the dealership try to BS you, they often times don't know what the hell they're talking about when it comes to warranty and what will void it or not.

#19 ·
Originally posted by BigART:
That's the sum of it.

It's a little nastier then that actually.

Don't let the dealership try to BS you, they often times don't know what the hell they're talking about when it comes to warranty and what will void it or not.
Yor are dead on, on both accounts. The service writers just know how to add up your bill and if asked any questions outside of what they do, they will ALWAYS try and B.S. me. One would think if their parts department sells it, it can go on any new truck and NOT void a darn thing - plus it would be making more money for the dealership. When asking some big shot manager about voiding the warranty, they just point to the service department. The Ser. Mgr. is just as dumb.

I wanted to level the truck but again was told it would void the warranty. Well Friday I am having the truck leveled and could give a rip about the warranty because I know it's not going to void it.

If "everything" - little or big - will void the warranty then why even buy a new truck???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.