Hemi Truck Club banner

Power steering drip leak under truck.

13K views 45 replies 24 participants last post by  Ghost~Shadow 
#1 ·
I just wanted to post up so maybe someone else could benefit from this as well.

I got the 2004 Hemi QC and after noticing a small puddle in my driveway I found that I was having the power steering leak that everyone describes regarding the clamp problems not holding enough on the hose. Picked up a couple 1/2in screw clamps $1.89 for the top/bottom of the hose and no more leak.

Dealer said they were going to have to order a new hose/clamp assembly to fix the problem. Thus milking me out of my $100 deductible and billing the rest to my extended warranty service contract.

Just want to throw a big THANK YOU out to everyone on this board who inputs the information we need/seek about our trucks.

#4 ·
I have the same problem. I didn't realize it was so common though. I saw the little oetiker style clamp on the top hose to the rack and figured it wasnt tight enough. I think I will replace them both now with proper clamps. Thanks for the heads-up, saves me $100 at the stealership!!!

#5 ·
There was an old thread on this subject... can't find it now but here's a couple pics that show the leak and the fix.

Attachments

#9 ·
I caught the leak on mine before it got bad. Installed my screw type clamp and haven't had a leak since.

#10 ·

#11 ·
Thanks for keeping this info up on top. It looks like I finally got hit by one of the 'gremilins'. I made it 50k on the factory tires, and the rotors and brakes are still going strong. I checked in the fall and they all looked real good.

But the power steering leak got me. My leak was the same as everyone elses. A quick trip to get a clamp and everything was good as new. $2 for the clamp and I had some ATF at the house left over.

#13 ·
Originally posted by hemisooner:
I too had this problem, hit 70K and it sprayed all over the engine. Thanx for posting the pics, I was going crazy trying to figure out how to do it before I logged in.

#14 ·
Well, holy smokes! I had my '04 Hemi QC in yesterday for a leak (we and dealer suspected power steering fluid) that seems to leave a little spot in the garage floor every few weeks. Dealer said, "I don't see anything leaking."

I came here this morning to see if anyone else has had this problem. Looks like there is a new clamp in our future.

#15 ·
yep Im sorry to say iI had a leak also but fixed mine also. And sad to say I see those hoses put on at the plant all nite every nite and want to say something to my boss man, but know its a waste of time. They just gettin cheaper and cheaper on there parts. Besides, if u fix it yourself makes you feel more in tune with ur ride. So says ICE-CLD

#16 ·
For hose of you that live in a cold climate.... my 04 1500 has sprung the same leak everyone is talking about.... If it drops below 5 degrees F or -12C you need to check your hoses....be careful though nt to squeeze them in your hand... you might just ruture them. Remember rubber doesnt like the cold.... In alaska I find that more people have power steering leaks than anywhere else due to lack of just checking your hoses.... If it looks or feels wrong, replace it....

Also. I have two clamps on my line as well..
Thanks for the tip.

Also someone out the make braided stainless power steering lines for our trucks...i dont know who, but it will prolly cost you a pretty penny....

Safe driving folks, remember to check your tire pressures monthly!!!!!!!!!!1

#18 ·
besides that hose has any one had a leakin the main cylinder that acctuly pushes and pulls the driver side tire??? Thats where i think mine is leaking but cant see due to the plastic ribbed cover that is clampt on. But i will be taking a second look at the hose every one has posted about tomarrow. A 50 cent hose clamp is alot better than a who knows how much Power steering pump.

#19 ·
to mscott

I had the rack go out in my 05 Durango because of the cold but it did not leak because of the cold temps. As for now I am not having any problems with them and its cold
at home.

#20 ·
thanks for the welcom I'm not new new to the forums. I just never re registerd when we switched to the newer forums. I't been a few years.

I just got out from under the truck put the hose clamp on cleened everything up then turned the wheel all the way to the left and no leek (was happy) then turned the wheel once to the right and looked under.... Streem of fluid comen out of the boot. Was still dry on top so it wasnt the hose clamp. I'm thinking/ hoping a seal or an o-ring in the rack/cylinder

has any one done the repair them selves or what did ya fork out for a repair shop??

#21 ·
Plenty of folks have had the same problem. I put a hose clamp on, too, but I'm still getting a very slow leak. Someone on Dodge Talk recently posted about Lucas Oil Power Steering Stop Leak and said it had worked well. I just picked some up and will be adding it to my PS fluid shortly.

#22 ·
yea i have added that stuff. think i am up to 4 bottles. its helps but did not cure. And with more research i am seeing you can not just replace the seal but have to replace the entire rack & pinion. B S
dont know if thats a dealer scam or dodge realy has some morons in suits designing these. That and it looks like i am lucky to get 122k miles out of mine

#23 ·
It goes back to the days that Dodge was run by another company!!

#24 ·
found the problem. Seal on the rack. So had to buy a hole new rack& pinion. but instead of going to a dealer i had a local garage do it. Came to a grand total of $225 installed and had the truck back the next day.

#25 ·
That sucks But at least you are going again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.