Hemi Truck Club banner

Power steering drip leak under truck.

13K views 45 replies 24 participants last post by  Ghost~Shadow 
#1 ·
I just wanted to post up so maybe someone else could benefit from this as well.

I got the 2004 Hemi QC and after noticing a small puddle in my driveway I found that I was having the power steering leak that everyone describes regarding the clamp problems not holding enough on the hose. Picked up a couple 1/2in screw clamps $1.89 for the top/bottom of the hose and no more leak.

Dealer said they were going to have to order a new hose/clamp assembly to fix the problem. Thus milking me out of my $100 deductible and billing the rest to my extended warranty service contract.

Just want to throw a big THANK YOU out to everyone on this board who inputs the information we need/seek about our trucks.

#28 ·
The seal is what went out on my 05 Durango. I have never had any problems with the lines.

#29 ·
Ok....mine is leaking as well, just noticed it this morning. The reason I looked under there was because my truck is pulling to the right really bad, been doing it for a while but seems like it's getting worse. It'll change lanes pretty easy if you let go of the wheel. Truck only has about 58,000 on it. Has anyone else had this problem??? I have the 70,000 mile warranty, wonder if this will cover it?

#30 ·
It should since this is part of the powertrain. But it will not cover the pulling part of the problem.

#31 ·
silverhemi- grab some one and have them turn the wheel (with truck running) and look under the truck. mine was comen out of the rubber boot. But could be the hose clamp tric to since that is directly above the rubber boot. I checked those with the g/f's makup mirror then wiped it all down and found the leek in the boot. If you have a nappa call them first. it was going to cost me 210 but my mechnic got it for 180

#32 ·
My leak continued to worsen. DH looked under there last week and found the entire bottom side of the "boot" (?) on passenger side was covered AND there was hardly any PS fluid on the stick. Bummer.

I am posting this as I sit at the dealership waiting to hear the damages. Not fun...

#33 ·
THUD! (The sound of me hitting the floor...)

Dealer wants over $700 because of that silly R&P seal. I told them "NO WAY" and am waiting for them to finish my oil change.

What a bunch of &%*#@.

(And as long as you are bent over, your front brakes look really bad...blah blah blah...)

#35 ·
The "only" Dodge dealership in Enid (was Johnsons--now Jacksons). They wanted around $550 for the "part" and another almost $200 for labor. He said they can't just replace the bad seal...they have to replace that whole boot thingy.

Maybe so, but I told him the bill should be about half that much. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I think that's way too much for a part that (for starters) shouldn't fail at 70,000 miles.

Am I out of line with that thinking? *sigh*

#37 ·
It's not about the time. It's about the $$.

Someone posted on page 2 of this thread recently: found the problem. Seal on the rack. So had to buy a hole new rack& pinion. but instead of going to a dealer i had a local garage do it. Came to a grand total of $225 installed and had the truck back the next day.

If that's the case, doesn't $750 seem a teeny weeny bit high?

Maybe I'm just having a bad day, but the more I read how many people have this issue---and I don't understand why----the more I'm ready to bail on my perty red truck.

#39 ·
I took my truck to someone else, a mechanic DH has used off/on for quite a few years. They did the entire rack assembly for $430 (parts and labor), which is about $100 less than what the dealer was going to charge JUST FOR THE PART!

They also determined my water pump was leaking, so I had them replace that, too. I'm wondering why the dealer didn't notice it, since they had it up on the rack changing the oil and looking at the rack thingy just four days earlier...

Oh, well. I'll stick with the dealer for inexpensive oil changes, but go elsewhere for other stuff. *sigh*

#40 ·
Originally posted by Black Eye:
I just wanted to post up so maybe someone else could benefit from this as well.

I got the 2004 Hemi QC and after noticing a small puddle in my driveway I found that I was having the power steering leak that everyone describes regarding the clamp problems not holding enough on the hose. Picked up a couple 1/2in screw clamps $1.89 for the top/bottom of the hose and no more leak.

Dealer said they were going to have to order a new hose/clamp assembly to fix the problem. Thus milking me out of my $100 deductible and billing the rest to my extended warranty service contract.

Just want to throw a big THANK YOU out to everyone on this board who inputs the information we need/seek about our trucks.
THANK YOU, i just noticed mine dripping last week. Time to pay a visit to the hardware store! Thanks again this will save me a TON of time

#41 ·
Man if your paying deductibles you still have warranty im guessing here haha. Anyways with a few calls to chysler the dealership put on a whole new assembly (rack and pinion) or whatever dodge calls it, I just had to pay the deductible. Cost was 1500 bucks with parts and labor cost me 25 for the deductible. Not too bad, but mine was leaking like crazy too found it when I was gettin my truck aligned.

#42 ·
Just had mine replaced earlier this year; same issue, leaking rack & pinion; what's up with this?

#45 ·
I had to replace my power steering cooler which was obviously leaking. But after replacing it, I still have leaks under my truck. I don't know what happened but I am looking any ideas on where the new leak might be coming from.

I saw a lot of comments about some weak clamps, but can't tell from the pics where to look or how to access. Do I need to get underneath to see this?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.