Hemi Truck Club banner

HELP!! MISFIRE!!

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Redtruck-VA 
#1 ·
HEY GUYS JUST CRANKED UP TRUCK RUNNING VERY POORLY RAN CODE TO FIND A MISFIRE IN CYLINDER 8...SHOULD I CHANGE ALL PLUGS AND THE COIL FOR THAT CYLINDER... OR ALL PLUGS AND COILS...NO WIRES SO THIS IS A FIRST FOR ME...AND MAYBE SOME SUGGESTIONS ON BEST PLUGS FOR OUR TRUCKS...
THANKS

#2 ·
HEY GUYS JUST CRANKED UP TRUCK RUNNING VERY POORLY RAN CODE TO FIND A MISFIRE IN CYLINDER 8...SHOULD I CHANGE ALL PLUGS AND THE COIL FOR THAT CYLINDER... OR ALL PLUGS AND COILS...NO WIRES SO THIS IS A FIRST FOR ME...AND MAYBE SOME SUGGESTIONS ON BEST PLUGS FOR OUR TRUCKS...
THANKS

#3 ·
Look at the plugs in cylinder #8, for signs of problem.

#4 ·
with Jay....I had a misfire code in cylinder 5...mine was a worst case scenario as the 2 plugs had the electrodes pushed/bent in downward,indicating potential internal engine damage...hopefully,your plug(s) are just dirty or fouled.....

#6 ·
Keep us posted on your progress Ryan! When was the last time the plugs were changed?

#7 ·
Originally posted by charged392:
Kiss it (keep it simple stupid) not referring you "baker" but try just moving the coil to the next cylinder and see if misfire moves first easy test if still on 8 then bigger issue

#8 ·
just switched out plugs for #8...it is the back pass side correct?... also changed ign coil ran great for 20 min or so then back to running like shit idling funny and surging...gonna change out the rest of plugs this weekend after i get paid...as for the problem still open for advice!!!! thanks

#9 ·
Did a different trouble code show up after swapping the coil pack?

#11 ·
Don't need a scanner to pull codes turn key from off to run without starting truck 3 times stopping at run the third time and then look at the odometer it will read codes to you if they cleared them when you got it read the first time then the code in it is your problem

#12 ·
How did the plugs look that you replaced?

#13 ·
not too bad spacing was good just old looking...hoping it might be the injector... wonder what the odds are its clogged and not bad...thoughts on sea-foam or taking to a shop for the pressurized cleaning????? mechanic at local shop said it could be valve spring ....this doesn't make sense to me bc it runs fine intermittently... ????

#14 ·
Originally posted by **BAKER**:
not too bad spacing was good just old looking...hoping it might be the injector... wonder what the odds are its clogged and not bad...thoughts on sea-foam or taking to a shop for the pressurized cleaning????? mechanic at local shop said it could be valve spring ....this doesn't make sense to me bc it runs fine intermittently... ????
If you have it isolated to a single cylinder I would pull the valve cover and check the valve springs. i had a odd miss-fire last year and it was a crank sensor. if I remember this right, the crank sensor triggers the ignition and the cam sensor triggers the injectors. From the manual: Voltage is applied to the fuel injectors with the
ASD relay via the PCM. The PCM will then control
the injection sequence and injector pulse width by
turning the ground circuit to each individual injector
on and off.
The PCM determines the proper ignition timing
according to input received from the crankshaft position
sensor.
Good luck..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.