Hemi Truck Club banner

Coolant Capacities.

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  NewBlue 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Looking to change out my anti-freeze and was wondering what the coolant capacity was, and is it the usual 50/50? Whats the best way to change the anti-freeze? Thanks all.

#2 ·
Hi all,

Looking to change out my anti-freeze and was wondering what the coolant capacity was, and is it the usual 50/50? Whats the best way to change the anti-freeze? Thanks all.

#3 ·
Capacity is 16.2 quarts including 1 quart in the reservoir (Mixed 50% with distilled water, good to -35F). This is special MOPAR antifreeze (HOAT whatever that means). You can get it at NAPA $12.95 a gallon I think or the dealer $21.95 If I remember correctly.

From my manual:
Open drain before removing radiator cap to drain reserve/overflow.
Be careful with the radiator drain (plastic quickturn, it only turns like a quarter turn and stops, keep going and you break it, don't ask).
Remove block drain plugs.

When re-filling also fill reserve/overflow to max, warm it up, keep checking level on reserve/overflow (it may burp some air for a few days).

I never actually did the fluid change, I had the dealer flush and replace it, but I have taken out the thermostat a few times.

Good luck!

#4 ·
Thanks NewBlue, do you know if the dealership removed the block plugs to flush the motor or did they leave them in? Oh, by the way:
HOAT = Hybrid Organic Antifreeze Technology

#5 ·
Not sure. They claimed to have a machine to flush it. I figured it might need it after 5 years!
I also had them put the factory engine heater on at the same time- I was having cold start issues back then and I had a trip coming up to the great white north.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.