Hemi Truck Club banner

Check engine light

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  HemiByrd 
#1 ·
I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500, the check engine light came on and i went to autozone to check the code. It came back as a small emissions leak. They recommended replaceing the gas cap. I did this cleared the code and not more than an hour or two the check engine light was back on. Does anyone have any other ideas on what the problem could be or how to fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500, the check engine light came on and i went to autozone to check the code. It came back as a small emissions leak. They recommended replaceing the gas cap. I did this cleared the code and not more than an hour or two the check engine light was back on. Does anyone have any other ideas on what the problem could be or how to fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#3 ·
Do you remember what the DTC code was?

#5 ·
Sounds like code P0442, which is a small leak in the EVAP system. The gas cap is one cause. Another could be a cracked hose in the EVAP system. Most of that system is under the truck in front of the gas tank. There are neoprene hoses there that can crack over time. Also there is a purge solenoid with neoprene hoses for the system under the hood.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.