Throttle body spacer - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Bumpers, Bars, Winches and Truck Bed

Old 03-10-2005, 08:15 PM   #1
Retired BOD - Doug

Garage
Throttle body spacer

Ok...some of you gearheads I have a question about throttle body spacers. Do they really provide any additional HP or is that BS. For the price they should do something other than drain your checkbook but I don't see how. Whats the straight poop...20 HP or BS?

RANCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2005, 08:51 PM   #2

Throttle body spacer

OK, Rancher, stand by for a shitstorm. Since I have a TBS, I'd say that there's no way it'll give you 20 hp. The design of the TBS is really important. The ones that have relatively smooth interior circles won't do ****, while the ones that have deep helical grooves will. The change won't necessarily snap your head back, but you'll feel a steady, stronger pull at low to moderate speeds with partial throttle.
Freeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 10:48 AM   #3

Throttle body spacer

I have one also. I agree with freeze
Adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2005, 11:25 AM   #4

Throttle body spacer

TB spacer were meant for carbed motors. They help by swirling the air after the fuel is added by the carb. This atomizes the fuel better, hence more possible HP. With a FI motor the hope is to enlarge the plenum space or possible swirl the air,and mix with fuel, but this does NOT work on our engines. The T/B is way before the injectors and the long runner legnth striaghtens out the air before it ever has a chance to atomize the fuel. Sorry to be rude but they are wothless on our engines and have been proven to NOT work on the dyno. Carbed engine "YES" our FI engine "NO". Think about it, If a D/C engineer could put a $1.00 item on our engines to increase fuel economy or HP do you think they would?? Hell yes they would? If a cheap piece of metal after the T/B would improve anything every auto manufaturer would install them. A spacer is another "Tornado"! How many people swear by those useless pieces of junk?
CRAZYHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 11:34 AM   #5

Throttle body spacer

I installed the TB spacer that came with my AEM CAI should I leave it on? Will it reduce performance or is it just taking up space on my TB? Why would they include a TBS in the AEM kit if it didn't do "poop"?
TooTallll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 01:48 PM   #6
*Av'sFan*

Throttle body spacer

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rancher:
Ok...some of you gearheads I have a question about throttle body spacers. Do they really provide any additional HP or is that BS. For the price they should do something other than drain your checkbook but I don't see how. Whats the straight poop...20 HP or BS?
Mine definitely provides HP- Because my two extra injectors are machined into it for my STS turbo system
Old 03-11-2005, 07:56 PM   #7
*Av'sFan*

Throttle body spacer

Mine is a necessity
Old 03-11-2005, 07:58 PM   #8

Throttle body spacer

Avsfan: Resize that bad boy!
Freeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 09:20 PM   #9
Retired BOD - Doug

Garage
Throttle body spacer

I can see where Avsfan has some purpose but I'm still leary...I know Freeze isn't pumping sand, nor is CrazyHemi...which is kind of what I thought, but I'm no mechanic either. Maybe it works better on some than others.... Looks like a pricey gamble but I'm open to more comments..
RANCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 10:40 PM   #10

Throttle body spacer

Well if anybody has one they want to get rid of (sell), talk to me. I am going to get one to put my NO2 nozzle in it, and leave my CAI untouched. This message has been edited. Last edited by: TR1 Hemi, document.write(''+ myTimeZone('Fri, 11 Mar 2005 20:50:45 GMT-0800', '11 March 2005 11:50 PM')+''); 11 March 2005 11:50 PM
TR1 Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote