Thinking of Switching From Undercover to BakFlip, Dumb Move? - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Bumpers, Bars, Winches and Truck Bed

Old 08-19-2008, 08:15 PM   #1

Thinking of Switching From Undercover to BakFlip, Dumb Move?

I've been using an Undercover tonneau on my 1500 for almost three years and it has definetely served me well. I got the upgraded lock kit and LED light kit for it last year and it has been great. So why am I considering getting rid of it for something like the BakFlip? It seems the past six months, I've been having to take the cover off, put it on, take it off, put it on, etc etc because I'm hauling stuff in the bed that is higher than the cover allows. I know compared to a typical fiberglass cover it's a snap to take off, only weighs 58 lbs and although it's awkward, I do take it off/put it on myself. I'm starting to think something like the BakFlip which is still a hard plastic type cover vs. vinyl would just make things easier for me to be able to flip open the cover to allow different exposed openings or just lift the whole thing off while folded and put it in my backseat if need be. What I would lose out on is the locking capability like I get with the Undercover, the fact the Undercover goes over the bed rail so I'm not losing an useable bed width and it's proven to me to be pretty much weather proof. Would I kick myself in the rear for making the switch because I'm getting a litte lazy?

xJO98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2008, 08:33 AM   #2

Just my opinion, but I think you are making a HUGE mistake. Let me put it to you this way, I won't even sell a Bakflip to my customers.

The Bakflip has had a history of literally falling apart. Their new G2 cover is better, but still has problems. That isn't to say that you won't find a happy Bakflip owner. But, I would say that 7 out of 10 will not be happy owners.

If you want a folding cover, take a look at an Extang Solid Fold or a FoldACover.

Here's a new G2 cover that has developed problems:
BigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 02:14 PM   #3

I agree with BB. Stick with the Undercover. Those pictures of the BakFlip do not inspire any confidence in that product.

Sil
SilsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2008, 07:39 PM   #4

Oh my, that's horrible!!! Although I think I'll stick with my Undercover, I will check out the Extang covers you mentioned.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:13 PM   #5

They make an aluminum folding cover that I have heard is nice and is not supposed to leak. I think you can get it for around 600.00.
preachertuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 04:42 PM   #6

Both the Extang Solid Fold and the FoldACover are black powdercoated aluminum. However, they are significatly different covers. The Solid Fold requires NO mounting hardware. You can install or remove the whole darn thing in about 60 seconds.
BigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 08:45 PM   #7

That Extang Solid Fold Cover looks great. If that was around at the time I got my Undercover, I probably would've went with that one instead. It's definetely got my interest piqued.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:47 PM   #8

I junked the BakFlip. Have the Hard hat by Advantage on son's truck. Looks good and has held up very well!!
megacab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:54 PM   #9

Garage

xjo98 i have the undercover too and love it.however as you say even though much easier to remove than a fiberglass cover ,its still a pain to do alone.i found a solution.i back under my carport where i have2 pullys with ropes att atched to the rafters.the ropes are tied to eyeletts on another rafter .i back under the carport loop the ropes under my coverone front,one rear then undo my hinge clips and raise it off.then i tie it off to the side of my carport and it hangs there til i return.
hemi joe is offline   Reply With Quote