Just got my billet fuel door, not happy... - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Bumpers, Bars, Winches and Truck Bed

Old 06-29-2008, 06:03 PM   #1

Just got my billet fuel door, not happy...

Is it just me or is everything a POS. I can't get a quality product from anywhere. I received this fuel door as a gift for fathers day. Looks nice and heavy. Went to install it today. First, there is no gasket or anything to go between the billet fuel door and the body paint. This worries me, metal on metal seems like it will rub the paint over time and rust.

Second, the surround does not fit in the body recess enough to sit flush. When you install the screws through the factory holes where the factory door mounted and tighten, you can see a space between the back of the fuel door surround and the body sheet metal and you can see the screw threads between there. Is this normal? It looks as if the only thing holding the fuel door flush with the outside of the body is the back edge of the fuel door surround against the painted body work. It seems if you keep tightening the screws it might pull the door in but kill the paint as it scratches its way in.

When I go to install the rear mounting screws where the factory rubber bumpers are they provide metal clips and plastic spacers to put between the back of the surround and the body paint. The clips are to keep the new door from closing in too far and have rubber bumpers in there to keep the rattle to a minimum. The plastic spacers are supposed to take up the rest of the space between the surround and the body. Nope. extra space on this side as well. The clip and spacer spin around and rattle between there. I added some extra washers to take up the difference so everything is tight then we have another problem. The screws are now not long enough to get the nuts on the back behind the sheet metal. Now I am really frustrated. This should have been a 5 minute deal. WTF! It seems like maybe the whole new fuel door surround is too big to fit all the way into the body recess. Or the truck body recess is too deep? If it would fit all the way into the body recess the whole assembly would be recessed a small amount. Would that be normal? Or is it supposed to be completely flush with the outside of the truck?

BTW, The door is built by (for) Bully. Model GD-302ck

SLAMLLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2008, 03:49 AM   #2

the problem is rampant today with everything made in 3rd world crap countries. take the thing back and either try another one or a different brand. you paid probably a good penny for that.
seems like no one can make things right any more, it may look good at first, then it falls apart or blemishes real quick.
all these makers do is count on a small return percentage,even at a 50% return rate they make millions from pennies...there is no pride anymore in manufacturing, it's just a business with financial geniuses and sweat houses looking to take advantage of the average American sucker born every day.there is no more business and pride ethics..
Solar_Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 07:05 AM   #3

Thats why I junked my billet fuel door. Imo, stick with the stock one, it was made for function.
FAhemiST is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2008, 09:46 AM   #4

Get the Mopar one!
RaiderJay6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:54 AM   #5

I am not sure which brand I purchased, but it was a locking aluminum door and fit perfect and works perfect. Sorry you got burned.
HeminatorTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:46 PM   #6
Board of Directors

Garage

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RaiderJay6:
Get the Mopar one!
cruel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:26 PM   #7

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cruel1:
Quote:
Get the Mopar one!
x3
madcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 05:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Get the Mopar one!
mine fits fine
5SpeedHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 07:25 PM   #9

megacab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:07 AM   #10

I am going to add another

Infernogrl6 is offline   Reply With Quote