Front Bumper Repair Options - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Bumpers, Bars, Winches and Truck Bed

Old 12-16-2007, 04:57 PM   #1

Front Bumper Repair Options

Well, my luck finally ran out. Driving since 1975 and this is the first time I have been involved in an accident with my personal vehicle and another vehicle. Mature driver (elderly) ran a stop sign and did minor damage to my front bumper. Caught her at the last moment and had time to brake hard or she would have slammed right into my door. She has already admitted being at fault to her insurance company so they should be paying for the repairs. I will talk with them tomorrow.

I have been to two body shops and the estimates for the repairs are $920 and $1119. Hard to believe this minor damage is so costly to repair. So now I have some options.

My plans for the truck were to someday replace the chrome bumper with the sport bumper, and maybe someday, the SRT-10 bumper. Option one is to just go with the sport bumper and add the accent kit (valance and side skirts) in the future. Option two is to go with the SRT-10 bumper as I will be adding the SRT-10 hood in the future.

The big question: is it possible to mount the SRT-10 bumper without the sport bumper underneath, or, is the sport bumper a necessary component to add the SRT-10 bumper? Figure this is a good time to do the exchange since they estimate $420/$510 for a new chrome bumper.

Any assiatance will be greatly appreciated.

Nor Cal Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2007, 11:15 PM   #2

a bumper exchange is easy to do.
I would try and get that money from her insurance company and not let anyone exchange your bumper for you.
You can try craigslist.com for a possible SRT10 bumper buy.
You probably do need the sport bumper frame to mount the new cover onto. Not quite sure on the swap.
Solar_Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 07:31 AM   #3

I am pretty sure you need the sport bumper to mount up the SRT bumper. I am pretty sure that the Street Scene bumper cover fits right over the chrome bumper you have now, just another option.
FAhemiST is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2007, 07:42 AM   #4

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm heading for a Dodge wrecking yard today to see if they have a sport bumper with no damage and mounts for my vehicle. Then I'm going to contact her insurance company to see if I can get the money and do the repairs myself. One auto boby repair facility states it will cost $93 to replace the one fog light. I can get a new one off ebay for under $50.00. The Street Scene bumper cover is another option I was looking into and is a possibility.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:26 PM   #5

I have the street scene bumper cover, and it looks pretty good imo.
UsmcMan96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 05:41 PM   #6

Think I found my new bumper. Came across this on ebay. Company states it a replacement front bumper. Waiting for more information as to how it mounts using the existing bumper mounts (SLT or sports).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...AQ:MOTORS:1123
Old 12-17-2007, 06:57 PM   #7

I was considering that ebay bumper as well. Let us know how you make out and what the details are with that company.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:20 PM   #8

I heard for the company about this bumper. Good news: it's a replacement bumper and mounts directly to the truck. Bad news: sounds too labor intensive for the average do-it-yourselfer.

Here is the reply I received from www.creativeautoonline.com: The part does not include hardware or mounting instructions. The part is intended for installation by an experienced and qualified aftermarket professional. We do not recommend attempting the installation at home or having it done by a dealer-owned or collision repair shop, as they simply do not have the necessary skills to work with an aftermarket part. The part comes brand new, unfinished and needs to be sanded and primed prior to painting, as well as properly fit to the vehicle. Fitment work may include but is not limited to minor sanding/shaving, filling, surface work and drilling of holes to mount to the vehicle.

Great. Why would a company put all this work into developing a great looking bumper and then make it nearly impossible for the average individual to install himself? In my opinion they should have gone the extra mile and designed it to use the existing mounts and maybe tweeked the mold to be a perfect match to the model it was designed for.

My next move will be to give Art at Henson Motors a call to see what price he can give me on the new sport bumper and all the necessary hardware. The best news out of all of this is the insurance company will be sending me the check directly.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:01 PM   #9

Wow, that sucks. Good luck!
Old 12-18-2007, 09:14 AM   #10

To do a conversion from a chrome front bumper to a sport (all plastic) or SRT 10 bumper, you need the sport bumper mount. Call Art @ Henson Motors for the best prices. 1 800 570 5337 and ask for Art in parts. Aftermarket stuff can be a major PITA unless they make things the correct way.
Hemi Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote