BAK Industries Roll-X review - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Bumpers, Bars, Winches and Truck Bed

Old 07-23-2012, 07:33 PM   #1

So after running around for over a week now with the Roll-X I figure I can pass on some insight/review of it. Overall for a solid rolling cover I'm very pleased. I have not noticed any leaking anywhere and trust me we've had plenty of rain here in FL to test the theory.

Installation was relatively easy despite mediocre instructions from the factory. Now finding that perfect spot for everything to settle in flush can be a bit of a headache (lots of loosening and re-tightening of clamps) to get it to sit right. Overall I'm very pleased and maybe only suggestion I can make (for 4th gens anyways) is add a small line of weather stripping to your tailgate seal for complete water tight seal. I did notice 2 gaps on corners of tailgate that just don't sit 100% flush, but still no water has gotten in. Ease of use and functionally lockable if you have a locking tailgate is a nice touch too.

Downsides are few but whatever that 400lbs of evenly distributed weight is I'd take with a grain of salt. My old undercover could take me standing on the middle of it no questions asked. But this cover looked like it was about to give out to my 125lb local redneck mechanic with his legs spread apart towards the rails. He stood on edges of bed from there on out. Also being aluminum and sitting in the sun that thing can get hot as hell so be sure to roll from sides with hands on felt lined areas.

Second *** kicker is if you use a bed extender it will not pass beyond rails of tonneau without some modification/redneck ingenuity like I used to extend brackets from my truck bed using .250" ID/.315 OD stainless sleeves approximately 2.5" long on both sides while using 3" screws. Yes it looks like crap currently but I have a machinist buddy building me some more aesthetically pleasing spacers. (Function over form in the mean time)

Still more on the pricey side ~$800 for the 6.3 ft beds but definitely cheaper then most solid roll-ups and no under hanging container below the bed rails.

2016 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD Laramie MegaCab 4x4

BTeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2012, 05:24 AM   #2
Retired BOD - Doug

Garage
Thanks for the post, but we need pictures.
I hear ya on the bed extender issue. I had some 1"X3" aluminum tubing that I made spacers for mine. Actually worked out pretty good and since I had it anyway, no cost. Actually had 4 about 5' pieces I used for support for an old soft cover I had.

RANCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:40 AM   #3

Just my opinion, but I would wait until Bak fixes some bugs with the Roll-X. Other owners have reported:
1. (Ford) When the cover is rolled up and strapped, the cover knocks against the cab when driving.
2. (Chevy) The rails do not fit correctly, they are too long and do not remain level.
BigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2012, 07:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally posted by "RANCHER":
Thanks for the post, but we need pictures.
On a road trip from FL to MD, will get some up when I get a few minutes. There is one in the photo section under my "No Xmas in July my...." Post

Old 07-30-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
Retired BOD - Doug

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by BigBlock:
Just my opinion, but I would wait until Bak fixes some bugs with the Roll-X. Other owners have reported:
1. (Ford) When the cover is rolled up and strapped, the cover knocks against the cab when driving.
2. (Chevy) The rails do not fit correctly, they are too long and do not remain level.
Same kind of issues I had with my XTang cover before I went to Retrax.

RANCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
Director Emeritus

Garage
Thanks for the review!
2009 Ram 5.7 HEMI QC 4X4 Laramie - bone stock for now

MrHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:04 PM   #7

Tablets don't resize photos, boned til Aug 9-10 timeframe

Old 08-24-2012, 01:39 AM   #8

Ok so about 4 weeks overdue, better late then never I suppose. Here are two pictures of the tailgate seal that I found to be the only issue for fitment on Dodge. None of the Ford and Chevy issues BigBlock had mentioned thankfully.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Left_side.jpg (286.1 KB, 26 views)

Old 08-24-2012, 01:40 AM   #9

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Right_Side.jpg (247.3 KB, 28 views)

Old 08-24-2012, 01:44 AM   #10

Now Roll-X did provide a piece of weather stripping for the front they claim but I found no need for it, front fitment showed no gaps and never had water get in. Once the tailgate pools up and you hit the brakes that's when it seems to sneak in the bed.

A second minor flaw seems to be the stripping on the rails being just a bit to thick, closing the tailgate likes to catch the stripping and pull back at the corners of it as you can see in the pictures. Have since trimmed that section down to prevent any further wear.

Again overall I'm very pleased with it, can be a finicky installation but very nice once it's done carefully and correctly.