air space (displacement) - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Bumpers, Bars, Winches and Truck Bed

Old 02-17-2005, 08:29 AM   #1

air space (displacement)

Does anyone know how much space(displacement) under the rear seats? I'm thinking about sub with custom box. I would like to know how much space there are on both driver and passenger sides. I'm thinking about JL's 8"s. What do you think? Are there any other subs out there that can use less air space and still sounds good? Give me your opinions

grayhemi04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2005, 06:08 PM   #2

air space (displacement)

You can get customn boxes on e-bay all day long for $82 on up.

I am going with 10's as soon as I get the box!

Here is a link to one for $82:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...751745299&rd=1

Here is one for $78!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...752261273&rd=1

Hope this helps, I believe the air depends on the speaker, how much air volume is in the boxes, or the rear section of the truck is easy to find out.

Get some shipping popcorn, then a box that you know what size it is, and then fill the space and do the math for it.

Saw that on a do it yourself site that Dan posted , lol
MoneyHSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 06:15 PM   #3

air space (displacement)

10's are nice but i went with a set of jl12w3's they will fit in the some of the boxes on ebay
Southern Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2005, 08:01 PM   #4

air space (displacement)

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SOUTHERN THUNDER:
10's are nice but i went with a set of jl12w3's they will fit in the some of the boxes on ebay
did you get the w3v2? or just the w3 ? :-)

As for airspace I think the most you can get is around .45 maybe up to .55 ft^3. In any event, you will need a "small box" sub like the JL Audio w3v2 or the new W1's.
Dan, the Nice Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 08:09 PM   #5

air space (displacement)

12w3v2
Old 02-17-2005, 11:02 PM   #6

air space (displacement)

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SOUTHERN THUNDER:
12w3v2

Awesome!!
Old 02-18-2005, 08:35 AM   #7

air space (displacement)

MoneyHSK>the shipping popcorn is a pretty good idea. lol I never thought of that.

SouthernThunder>Did you use the ebay box? Do you have to remove the anything under you seat? I have this black storage thing under my seat and I don't really want to take that out.

All-part1> It seems like you guys are running bigger subs with less air displacement. Do they still sound good? I always thought that I have to get it right on (don't ask me why). But you all are running 10s and 12s with 0.45displacements. Let me know your input

All-part2>if you use the ebay box, then where did you mount your amps and etc? I want to keep a stealth clean look. I've been trying to seach photos, but I guess I'm a noob and I can't find them. Can you post some pics of QC Rams with a system in it? TIA
Old 02-19-2005, 07:30 PM   #8

air space (displacement)

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by grayhemi04:
MoneyHSK>the shipping popcorn is a pretty good idea. lol I never thought of that.

SouthernThunder>Did you use the ebay box? Do you have to remove the anything under you seat? I have this black storage thing under my seat and I don't really want to take that out.

All-part1> It seems like you guys are running bigger subs with less air displacement. Do they still sound good? I always thought that I have to get it right on (don't ask me why). But you all are running 10s and 12s with 0.45displacements. Let me know your input

All-part2>if you use the ebay box, then where did you mount your amps and etc? I want to keep a stealth clean look. I've been trying to seach photos, but I guess I'm a noob and I can't find them. Can you post some pics of QC Rams with a system in it? TIA
An easy place to mount the amp is under the drivers seat and then run your wires under the carpet. Remember that for displacement, generally, if you have less than recomended air space you can compensate with polyfill and more power.
Old 02-19-2005, 07:38 PM   #9

air space (displacement)

Yes i used the box from ebay and it fits under the seat with out removing anything but your cleaning slupplies. My amp is mounted under the drivers seat.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:03 AM   #10

air space (displacement)

cool! but I saw 10's and 12's (12w3v2), what amp and how much you pushing it? So you think 10's or 12's with less displacement with higher power would be better than getting 8's with correct displacement? I never really had any displacement problems with my previous cars, because I had plenty of space. Tell me your experience and advise. I want it to look stealth and sound mean (doesn't have to be mean, but bad ***... you get the idea right?).