Some Electrical Knowledge needed. - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Headlights and Lighting

Old 01-02-2014, 08:12 PM   #1

Question Some Electrical Knowledge needed.

My younger brother is selling a new brand of LED light bars and is offering me hugely discounted prices to install them on my truck and show them off. I can wire everything up no problem but I don't know the math behind it and I'm having a hard time finding any answers through Google. I apologize if similar has been addressed. I did try searching the forum but didn't find anything close to my situation.

I plan on installing:
two 2" lights with a 3 amp combined draw
two 6" lights with a 3 amp combined draw
one 10" light with a 2.5 amp draw
two 20" lights with a 20 amp combined draw
total 28.5 amp draw.

I plan on wiring them based off this diagram. The blue wire will be tied into my high beams. The gps and vest etc listed will obviously be lights.

I've found that 12 gauge wire will handle a max of 41 amps. The relay switch is a max 40 amp.

I'm wondering what size fuse I should be placing in my inline fuse holder and if I use 12 gauge wire, if this wiring setup will be safe. Any suggestions or notes on what I'm missing?

I'm installing these lights on my 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 SXT Quad Cab, everything has been left stock under the hood, also wondering if I'll need an alternator upgrade for this project.

Thanks for your time!

SamF33gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2014, 08:40 PM   #2

Your alt should be fine as for the fuse you want to use the lowest amp fuse to your load being applied

Also 12 gauge wire if using crimp connectors will heat up solder the ends or use 10 g wire with crimps
Old 01-02-2014, 08:45 PM   #3
Board of Directors

Garage
I would not run more than a 30 amp fuse in the inline holder. Anything more than that you are allowing the wire to be the fuse.....

Why are you wanting these to only come on with High Beams?

If I were you, I would install a dash mounted switch. Use a 30-Amp in-inline fuse. Eliminate the Blue Wire and where the relay is put the switch.

I personally run a 10 gauge wire to a distribution block and switch individual banks. I currently have 3 switches that control interior, exterior, and bed lighting.

Mods: Coming Soon

cruel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2014, 09:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruel1 View Post
I would not run more than a 30 amp fuse in the inline holder. Anything more than that you are allowing the wire to be the fuse.....

Why are you wanting these to only come on with High Beams?

If I were you, I would install a dash mounted switch. Use a 30-Amp in-inline fuse. Eliminate the Blue Wire and where the relay is put the switch.

I personally run a 10 gauge wire to a distribution block and switch individual banks. I currently have 3 switches that control interior, exterior, and bed lighting.
Thanks for the info on the fuse.

Originally wired directly to my headlights because I didn't want extra interior switches. I found most were ugly and way too big. I have found some pretty nice switches though lately and am considering it. I also wanted all my lights to come on at once rather then flicking several switches. The lights will all be forward facing or slightly to the sides to light up the ditches.

with your setup I'm guessing you have 10 gauge to your dist block then smaller from your block to switch then lights?
Old 01-02-2014, 09:23 PM   #5
Gold-Member

Garage
Personally, I would have a fuse on each idivdual items power leg also. If there is a problem with any one item the way you have it now, you will not know which one blows the main fuse. With a fuse on each line you are completely protected.
05 1500 SLT Quad Black on Black | Pace Setter Long Tubes | Magna Flow Cat Back | Doug's Electric Cutout | Custom Ram Air Hood | Spyder LED Tails | Spec-D Black Projectors W/Halos | Flex-A-Lite E-Fan |Jet 180 Stat | K&N CAI | 20 inch wheels | Comp 268 Cam W/6.1 push rods and springs | Diablo Trinity | Custom Tune by Charged392.

kcd1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcd1369 View Post
Personally, I would have a fuse on each idivdual items power leg also. If there is a problem with any one item the way you have it now, you will not know which one blows the main fuse. With a fuse on each line you are completely protected.
A fused power distribution block like this would work nice for that. I have seen them somewhere with plastic covers also. And keep the main fuse right off battery as you drew it.

Good Luck!

MSD 8.5 Super Conductor wires, Airaid CAI, Superchips 3865,
Homebrew E-fan, Custom 2.5" Dual Exhaust with merge Y & 22"
Magnaflow SIDO, Sonnax pressure booster, Stant 190 stat, Fastman TB
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old Blue: 1988 W100 4X4 Standard Cab Longbox 318 188,000 miles
==================================================
NewBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:38 PM   #7

Thanks everyone for your responses. Got some great info and new ideas. Ill post some pics once I get it all done.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:07 PM   #8
Greg

Garage
This is the basic setup I use to power accessories.

1# 2017 HTC FASTEST HEMI List....
Current 1/4 mile [email protected] (2018)
Current 60' PB 1.351 (2019) mechanical issue for 1/4m

HTC 2018 TOTY

Support vehicle- 2007 QC G56 4x4 diesel
Redtruck-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:46 PM   #9
Gold-Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtruck-VA View Post
This is the basic setup I use to power accessories.
Now that's what I'm talking about. Greg where do you get your components from? Mainly the Fuse block?
05 1500 SLT Quad Black on Black | Pace Setter Long Tubes | Magna Flow Cat Back | Doug's Electric Cutout | Custom Ram Air Hood | Spyder LED Tails | Spec-D Black Projectors W/Halos | Flex-A-Lite E-Fan |Jet 180 Stat | K&N CAI | 20 inch wheels | Comp 268 Cam W/6.1 push rods and springs | Diablo Trinity | Custom Tune by Charged392.

kcd1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:59 PM   #10
Greg

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcd1369 View Post
Now that's what I'm talking about. Greg where do you get your components from? Mainly the Fuse block?
I got the block and relays at Advance Auto Parts, but I suspect any local parts store should have them.

1# 2017 HTC FASTEST HEMI List....
Current 1/4 mile [email protected] (2018)
Current 60' PB 1.351 (2019) mechanical issue for 1/4m

HTC 2018 TOTY

Support vehicle- 2007 QC G56 4x4 diesel
Redtruck-VA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2008, led, rigid