Solenoid Vs. Relay - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Headlights and Lighting

Old 11-21-2008, 03:01 PM   #1

Solenoid Vs. Relay

What exactly is the difference between a relay and solenoid. After reading the instructions for the Black Magic lights, it seems I may be able to use the included relay, but not wire to the high beams, but to the cigarette lighter so the lights will come on whenever the truck is running, then the switch to turn them off.

Any thoughts.

HeminatorTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2008, 05:14 PM   #2

Solenoid Vs. Relay

A solenoid is more heavy duty. It will carry a higher amp load but is not intended for continuos use. It will burn out if used for lighting. So use the relay.
Why don't you just use the switch and power is off the acc. instead of the lighter.
I wouldn't want them to turn on only with the high beams.
xtrmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 06:19 PM   #3

Solenoid Vs. Relay

i wired my fogs in with a seperate switch and wired throught the fire wall and drilled a hole under the cluster panel beside the headlight switch and put a switch in and it works great, i can run it when ever i want, its not hard to do either even if you are a rookie i could walk you through it, and xtrmes is definitely right about a solenoid, it is intended to be pulsed or switched on and off duty cycled...things of that nature, for example: a fuel injector is a solenoid, shift solenoids etc. A relay is specifically designed to control big amounts of current with a little amount of current without having any immediate effect on the relay itself and still run large current circuits.
JohnnywithaHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2008, 06:53 PM   #4

Solenoid Vs. Relay

Well, now I am confused. Is what is in the pic a solenoid, rather than a relay. I bought it from a parts store owned by my cousin 10 years ago and it has been used for 10 years without failing and quite often. He told me it was a solenoid. What is it then?
HeminatorTom is offline   Reply With Quote