light wiring - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Headlights and Lighting

Old 12-10-2008, 02:17 PM   #1

light wiring

hey guys-
I'm in the process of installing two new 100w offroads lights behind by grill. My question is: Will i need a relay switch for EACH light? OR will one switch handle both lights?
Electrical is not my specialty...
Thanks

hubie000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2008, 03:46 PM   #2

light wiring

one relay per pair of lights
6 Hemi Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:51 PM   #3

light wiring

thanks... another quick question. If I 'tap' into the headlight wiring (high beam) for these new lights, will it be to much 'load' for the oem harness?? will it get to hot? if so, how can i wire it so when i turn on the high-beams the two new lights go one also?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2008, 09:55 AM   #4

light wiring

EMS HEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:56 PM   #5

light wiring

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hubie000:
thanks... another quick question. If I 'tap' into the headlight wiring (high beam) for these new lights, will it be to much 'load' for the oem harness?? will it get to hot? if so, how can i wire it so when i turn on the high-beams the two new lights go one also?
I may be totally wrong here since I have a poor understanding of wiring, but I think the relay gets hooked into the high beam wire and the lights take power directly from the battery, so there should be no overload on the high beam wiring.
Speedbump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 04:06 PM   #6

light wiring

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Speedbump:
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hubie000:
I may be totally wrong here since I have a poor understanding of wiring, but I think the relay gets hooked into the high beam wire and the lights take power directly from the battery, so there should be no overload on the high beam wiring.
you are right about the relay. i had this discussion on another forum and my take is that the relay power wire tied into the hig beam wire wont be enough draw to cause any problems.

it is correct that the relay is an electric switch that allows the power to the lights to come from the battery. is actuated by a weak current that switches the relay to allow the big draw to get to the lights.

that said, the other participant on the other forum said that the small amount of draw to actuate the relay would still be seen by the computer and may cause problems.

i have considered tying my lights into my high beam as well but have stayed away from it because i like to run the lights without headlights if i choose. i have two switches. one runs the lights in the grill and the other runs the lights on the bulkhead. i also have these 2 stitches run to another switch that is in a comfortable location to turn on/off and allows me to run either or both sets of lights. it comes down to a matter of choice. hope this helps.
6 Hemi Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 11:41 AM   #7

light wiring

thanks for all the input everyone!!