Hemi Truck Club banner

Ignition Circuit ???

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Solar_Ram 
#1 ·
where can I find a good spot to hook a wire to a switched ignition circuit under the hood?
somewhere by the fuse panel...??

I posted this down further in the threads, but I guess folks don't scroll down there much.

#2 ·
What do you want to hook up? How much does it draw? You can find a fuse to link to if it's not drawing much. Use a testlight to find one. Best bet may be to run the wire through the firewall (in a grommet) and go to one of the cig lighters that is switched.

G
#5 ·
I gotta jump in here on this one. I have the same question that Solar Ram has.

I'm connecting a Tach Adapter for a Shift Light. The wiring from the Shift Light will be going past the Fire Wall and I'd like to keep the rest of the wiring (Adapter) under the hood. That Ignition Circuit connection is needed. Sooooooooo any ideas???

#6 ·
Radio Shack and some auto parts stores sell piggyback fuse adaptors. You pick a fuse for something that is switched, pull the fuse, install the adaptor, plug the fuse back in , add a second fuse for your new accessory, and connect the wiring to the new circuit. Just watch, most of the adaptors are rated for a 10amp circuit only.

#7 ·
Like Dan O said... you need a test light. They are fairly cheap and can be picked up at any parts store.
Remove the fuse box cover, turn the ignition on/acc, clip the alligator connector to a good ground (i.e... body bolt) and start poking around the empty relay sockets. When you find a hot terminal, turn the ignition off and re-check it. Most of those relays are good for at least 10 amps.
This is how I powered my e-fan and driving lights.

#10 ·
Thank you Big Budda for posting that picture. It was what I was looking for, I can test those pins now to confirm. I am hooking up a lead to a controller I have. Those lead pins hopefully are dedicated and I can fuse from there, Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.