I f'n quit!!!!! - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Headlights and Lighting

Old 02-11-2008, 05:30 PM   #1

I f'n quit!!!!!

I need some help. Both my brake lights are dead. The center one works, all the fillaments in the bulbs are good. I put in 4 new bulbs with no results. What's my next step in troubleshooting this system? I'm just lost. I've been working on this for the last couple months. It started with a license plate bulb and I've been lost ever since. Thanks guys.

4x4HEMIrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2008, 06:02 PM   #2

I f'n quit!!!!!

Have you checked the fuses???
Hemi Dave K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:47 PM   #3

I f'n quit!!!!!

I figured the fuses would cause the whole system to not work. The switch attatched to the pedal was my next thought, but again, I figured that would be the whole system. My problem resides with the two tail brake lights, not the third brake light. So the problem has to be somewhere else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2008, 06:59 PM   #4
UPSTATENYHARDCOREHEMI

I f'n quit!!!!!

nope there are seperate fuses for right and left. Check your fuses
Old 02-11-2008, 07:00 PM   #5
&quotRANCHER&quot

I f'n quit!!!!!

I don't have a clue on the 03's but you might check the fuse box anyway.
They've been known to create some imaginative wiring.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:01 PM   #6

I f'n quit!!!!!

Check the junction block of where the taillights wires plug into and see if there is any visual problems(corrosion, cut wires, etc.). It is possible for that to go bad, and it should be under the truck. Just another possibility. Almost forgot if you can find a way to bypass the junction block and then see if the taillights work that will show that the block is the problem, but I am not sure how to do it maybe someone else does.
hemioffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:05 PM   #7
&quotRANCHER&quot

I f'n quit!!!!!

OK, lets start with the easiest thing to check. If you have a voltage tester remove one of the tail lights, unplug the wiring harness and have someone apply the breaks. You should be able to eliminate the lights them selves for sure then. I don't think it's the lights because it would really be unusual for them both to go bad at the same time. Like Adam said check for broken wires and/or corrosion.
Does your truck have a tow package? If it does check the wire plugs for that too. Should be a plug under the truck around the spare tire somewhere.
Then your going to have to trace the wiring to the break light switch. Same thing applies to testing it too. You should be able to test the wiring coming out of the switch. One side will be hot going to the switch. The other should only be hot when the breaks are applied.
See what you come up with from there.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:40 PM   #8

I f'n quit!!!!!

Just to add to what Doug said...on the earlier Rams, you didn't need the tow package to still have the trailer wiring up underneath the frame. That plug is a source of many taillight issues.
440 SixPak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:09 PM   #9

I f'n quit!!!!!

Okay, the fuses are good. I'm not sure if this is standard with the tow pkg, but mine has a jack in the bumper with a spring loaded cover. I haven't made it to the wiring or the switch yet. I'll check those this weekend. I'll have plenty of time to figure this out then. What should my voltage readings be at each test point? Or will all my readings be around 12-13 volts? I hate these little electrical gremlins!
Old 02-14-2008, 10:16 PM   #10

I f'n quit!!!!!

Normally I think they have the tail lamps and the High mount third brake on different circuits so that if you do loose a fuse or something you still have some sort of brake light. I know I chased a similar problem on my dakota several years ago where I had the third brake but no tail brake lights. I ended up tracing it to the back of the fuse block. It had shorted and melted the insulation off of about 12 inches of wire. So the fuse was good, just bad wire in the back. I'm not sure if it is anywhere similar to the Rams.
GraphiteHemiRam is offline   Reply With Quote