Headlight Adjustment on a 2005 Durango - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Headlights and Lighting

Old 02-21-2011, 11:41 AM   #1

I searched and must be missing something because I can't get a hit on anything. Hard to believe I'm the only one having trouble finding the adjustment screw for my headlights.

Can anybody help me? Is it one of the 2 screws visible from the outside front bottom of the headlight? When I look in the manual these are listed as screws that hold the headlight in place so I was not thinking it was either of them. When I open the hood and remove the plastic cover at the front of the vehicle, it really doesn't expose much new for the headlights. Looking around I don't see anything that looks like it might be an adjuster. There is one hole in the matel bracing that could be an access to a screw but I do not see anything down in it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will post a picture with this information after I figure it out for future others.

-Rick

TooMch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2011, 11:41 AM   #2

I searched and must be missing something because I can't get a hit on anything. Hard to believe I'm the only one having trouble finding the adjustment screw for my headlights.

Can anybody help me? Is it one of the 2 screws visible from the outside front bottom of the headlight? When I look in the manual these are listed as screws that hold the headlight in place so I was not thinking it was either of them. When I open the hood and remove the plastic cover at the front of the vehicle, it really doesn't expose much new for the headlights. Looking around I don't see anything that looks like it might be an adjuster. There is one hole in the matel bracing that could be an access to a screw but I do not see anything down in it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will post a picture with this information after I figure it out for future others.

-Rick
Old 02-21-2011, 12:53 PM   #3
Director Emeritus

Garage
Welcome aboard TooMch - we're glad you joined us! Is that a Hemi Durango?

There should be an adjustment screw somewhere near the light assembly... with Dodge, the vertical adjustment is usually on top of the light, and the horizontal adjustment is either on the left or right of the light.
2009 Ram 5.7 HEMI QC 4X4 Laramie - bone stock for now

MrHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2011, 02:35 PM   #4
Retired BOD - Doug

Garage
Welcome <span class="ev_code_RED">TooMch</span>, glad to have ya join us.
I can't help you with a Durango, but hopefully some one that can will stop by shortly.

RANCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:22 PM   #5

Thanks both of you for your posts. And yes it IS a Hemi Durango. I ended up stopping by my local Dodge dealer and had the tech show me where the adjustment screw is. I'll post up a pic eventually but on a 2005 Durango it is found in the seam between the bottom of the headlight assembly and the bumper. There are 2 little reliefs where you can get to the mounting screws and if you get down low and look directly in the seam, you will also find the adjustment screw. It was for the vertical adjustment only (which is what I was looking for)
Old 02-22-2011, 04:35 AM   #6
Retired BOD - Doug

Garage
How ever you make the adjustments let me give you some advice. Before you make any adjustments: Park in the garage or somewhere that you have a flat wall about 20' in front of you. Turn your lights on and mark the center of the beam with a piece of tape, pencil or something. Also mark where the vehicle is parked, tire or something. Make your adjustments. The next time you have to use your lights note if they are correct or not. Like you wouldn't do that... If any adjustments are still needed you have a reference point to return to or do more adjusting. This little procedure can save you a lot of time. I do my adjustments at night so I can keep working until I get what I want.

Been there, done that several times changing headlights. Our trucks use a T-20 screwdriver for adjusting. Your Durango may be the same. I was hoping that Dave Byrd would post a diagram for you.

RANCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:31 AM   #7
Mopower or no Power!!

Glad the dealer showed you where they were. Most lights nowadays never need adjusting, but sometimes they get out of alignment when you replace the bulbs or drive over rough roads...

Phone: 573-258-9999

[email protected]
3rd Strike Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:20 AM   #8

2006 Black Mega Cab
Current mods: Access tonneau cover, 3rd Strike CAI,Tekonsha PRIMUS Trailer Brake Controller, Sumitt Turbo Muffler, Tow Mirrors, Tranny Temp Gauge in SRT A Pillar, 3950 Cortex Superchip, Tinted front windows
Pending Mods: Nerf Bars and sprayed in bed liner and what ever else i find on here

afteamroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:55 PM   #9

Thanks for the Welcomes. I needed to re-adjust the lights because the front end had to be repaired after an accident and the lights were not aligned like they were from the factory. The dealer did help but not enough. We drove it this way all this time but just recently we were in a situation were the road and surrounding area was darker than usual and I can tell the still need a better adjustment. So it should be a torx 20? I'll give that a shot