What Do Houdini and the Air in my Tires Have in Common? - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Running Gear | Brakes, Wheels and Tires

Old 01-15-2011, 08:15 PM   #1

What Do Houdini and the Air in my Tires Have in Common?

You guessed it, they both magically disappear!!! Man this is getting frustrating. I've had previous posts about the air in my tires slowly leaking out and here the latest chapter in the saga. Recap - Got new Cooper Discoverer ATR 275/55 R20 on my factory chrome bubble wheels back in 11/08. Have probably close to 30K miles on them. They seem to be wearing decently but have noticed all four have been leaking for at least the past year if not longer. I've monitored them every so often, re-air up when needed, etc. They've gotten as low as 20psi (I run around 35) but not all of them seem to hold or leak at the same rate. Two or three months back, I finally had enough and went to a pretty reputable tire shop in my area, not the place I bought the tires from because I wanted an independent look-see. They did the sopay water test, found them leaking around the tire/wheel bead area.

They took all tires off, cleaned some corrosion and left over tire gunk from the original tires off the wheels, prepped them up, re bead-sealed, new valve stems, aired me up and sent me on my way. They said it didn't appear that the wheels were damaged nor did the tires look like they were failing.

I noticed after a month or so, I was starting to slowly lose air in some tires again. Took it back, they rechecked, no leaks, aired me up told me to keep an eye on it.

Fast forward to last week. Now admittedly I hadn't been checking them during the holidays or beyond. We had a couple of snow storms and I swear my truck hasn't been handling the way it used to. Put a pressure gauge on them and here we go again:

FR: 25 psi
FL: 30 psi
RL: 23 psi
RR: 35 psi

Now keep in mind I started at 35psi the last go around and you see that one held pressure.

I go back to the same place this morning. Leak test showed nothing, they re-did all the bead seals again aired me up told me to watch and that if it keeps happening, the next step is different tires and/or new wheels.

It's obvious that I have a problem, it's gotta be such a slow leak that the old soapy water test just is picking it up.

So.......new tires, new wheels, or both? Of course, the cool thing would be the whole works but from a practicality standpoint, which is the more likely culprit at this point?

On a side note, how are the Kumho AT?

xJO98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2011, 09:46 PM   #2
Director Emeritus

Garage

Cold weather will do that... I started with 35 psi in all four tires on 31 December - two weeks later they were down to 30-32 psi.
MrHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:00 PM   #3

Try filling them with Nitrogen. If you have Dunn Tire close by, they charge $5/tire to fill them with Nitrogen. Nitrogen is a larger atom then natural air so it will loose pressure much less. It is also drier than normal air so it maintains pressure much better.
MDSBigPaPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2011, 10:27 PM   #4
&quotRANCHER&quot

Your not alone brother. Same thing happens to me every time the temperature drops fast and a lot. I run 35 and they will drop to 31psi just as sure as the temperature will drop again.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:55 AM   #5

Thanks everyone. I can understand a few psi drop in really cold weather but what bothers me is (1) the drops down to 25 psi and lower (2) the fact that one stayed at 35 psi while the others lost at different rates and (3) the drops I'm seeing happen during warm weather too.
xJO98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:02 AM   #6
Director Emeritus

Garage

You got a leak
MrHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:53 PM   #7
Board of Directors (Jay)

Quote:
quote:You got a leak
Thank you Capt. obvious.
Superjay is offline   Reply With Quote