Warped Powerslot/Hawk combo after 1 day - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Running Gear | Brakes, Wheels and Tires

Old 07-14-2006, 08:22 AM   #1

Warped Powerslot/Hawk combo after 1 day

I installed the Powerslot and Hawk ceramic pads on the front of the truck last night. Actually, I was the gopher and my brother-in-law mechanic did all the work.
Everything seemed to install fine. I cleaned the rotors w/ Brakcleen and put anti-squeal on backsides of pads per HTC recommendations.
Seated the pads exactly per Powerslot guidelines. I did 9 stops from 35 to 5 mph, let them cool for a couple miles, then 3 harder stops from 50 to 10mph. Went home and felt a slight shudder in the wheel.
This morning the steering wheel really vibrates and the brake pedal pulsates, especially around 40 mph at moderate or even light braking. It sucks.
The old brakes didn't even make the truck do that, the pads were just totally shot.
Did I do something wrong or is it possible to get a new rotor that is bad?
I ordered the rotors thru HTC so should I call Mr.Truck to see what my options are?
I'm very disappointed/frustrated after that much money to have a problem w/ 25 miles on new stuff.
Appreciate any input/suggestions

hemiluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2006, 08:45 AM   #2
Director Emeritus

Garage

Without watching the install, I can't say what the culprit could be. There is a slight possibility that the Power Slots were warped at the factory... there is about a 1% chance of that happening. Did your brother-in-law torque the caliper bolts correctly? How about the lug nuts?
I would call Power Slots directly for help... (818) 709-4800 or email [email protected].

Please keep us up-to-date on your progress. Since you bought from HTC.com we will make this right for you... one way or another!
MrHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 12:43 PM   #3

Mr. Hemi, thanks for the quick response. Yes, we did torque the calipers properly and I checked the lug nuts during lunch and they were also at 90 ft-lbs.
I called Powerslot and he said I should have checked the runout of the rotors before finishing up the install. If it's 0.006" out, it could cause a shudder. He said the never seize I put on the housing may have been enough to throw the rotor out of alignment. I also tried doing the break-in procedures too quickly he said.
His recommendations were to pull everything back off, clean the hub off, ck. that w/ a dial indicator, check the hubs for any discoloration or "blotchiness", install them, check for run-out, then break in more slowly. If there is discoloration, I can rub that out of both faces of the rotor w/ red or grey scotchbrite.
If it isn't any better, I'll call him back on Monday.
So it looks like I'm going back to the shop sometime this weekend to work on that. What joy!
I'll let you know how I make out.
Thanks for the phone number and response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2006, 01:05 PM   #4
Director Emeritus

Garage

Good luck Sir. I'll be on vacation for a week starting tomorrow morning (no Internet access). If it comes down to you requiring a refund, please email MrTruck at [email protected]. Tell him that you and I have talked, and you would like a refund. I believe this should be the last option though... try what the PS rep suggested and we'll go from there.
MrHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 01:49 PM   #5
Board of Directors (Jay)

Quote:
quote:I'll be on vacation for a week starting tomorrow morning (no Internet access
Bye Mark. We'll be good, we will, we will.
Superjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 12:01 AM   #6
Graphemi

Sweet that will give me time to catch up to you on posts....hehe...
Old 07-17-2006, 02:02 PM   #7

I took the brakes off yesterday, cleaned off the never-seize, remounted a rotor to check the run-out. From what I can tell, the rotors have a .030" run-out from section to section, which is huge.
I called the Powerslot rep and he said to go thru my dealer for a warranty return. I have to send them back before I get a credit/replacement though, so I'm not sure how that will work.
I have a couple messages in to Mr.Truck to see how he wants to handle this.
Hopefully he can get another set coming so I can swap them out and send the bad ones back.
This sure wasn't what I thought I was going to run into just to upgrade the rotors and pads.
I'll update once I hear anything.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:41 AM   #8

Got in touch w/ Kent @ Mr.Truck last night after 2 days of phone tag. He had called P/S and they wanted me to bring my rotors to a NAPA to get a run-out check, then send them to P/S so they could check them, and they would send me some more rotors. I asked how feasible that is since I don't have a spare vehicle just sitting around. Kent said that didn't sound the best to him either, since I already had run-out measurement. He had gotten hurt in the past though w/ some people never sending the bad rotors back so that was their policy.
I said the only workable solution would be for him to bill me for another set, send them out, and I would send the bad ones back to P/S. So I should have another set coming today. Hopefully I'll get them on Friday so I can replace them over the weekend.
For my first experience doing a brake job I gotta say this has really sucked.
I'm hoping that the ceramic pads will still be OK when I put them on another set.
If I don't get satisfaction after all of this I'll trying calling the President of P/S.
I'll keep you informed.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:56 AM   #9

Like I said in my post, at least you can get him on the phone, hope it works out, I know all of this really sucks, hey, I'm still waiting for the awesome performance everyone else is getting with this combo, so just hang in there.
CentralTexHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 05:45 PM   #10

After all your going through....I would hope they refund your hard earned cash and let you keep the rotors....once you get a true set...!!!! I cannot believe they wanted you to take your rotors to Napa after asking you to ck the run-out your self....my friend you should be getting a FREEBIE for sure after all your greif..!!!!! I will be watching closely to the outcome, because I was actually getting ready to order them myself....truck just it 35,000 miles and pads are getting thin....never had problem one with the stock rotors, but am getting new 22's and want to dress it up...!!!

Best of luck and hope you get back on the road soon....!!!!!
Rickster is offline   Reply With Quote