Two Questions - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Running Gear | Brakes, Wheels and Tires

Old 07-01-2011, 06:08 AM   #1

I need to replace the tires on my Ram 1500 Hemi and, after substantial research, have two questions.
1. What experience have members of this site had with Firestone Destination LE tires?
2. What experience have members of this site had with Town Fair Tire in New England?

Vtpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2011, 06:08 AM   #2

I need to replace the tires on my Ram 1500 Hemi and, after substantial research, have two questions.
1. What experience have members of this site had with Firestone Destination LE tires?
2. What experience have members of this site had with Town Fair Tire in New England?
Vtpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:20 AM   #3

I wouldn't let Firestone tires get anywhere near my truck.
'03 Black SLT QC SWB 4x4 Off-Road-- Rough Country X-Lift -- Deaver progressive leaf springs w/ 4" lift -- Fox 2.0 Reservoir Shocks -- CST Upper Control Arms -- KORE CVs -- 35 x 12.50 Toyo OC AT2s on 17 x 9 Moab STRs -- AirAid CAI -- Comp 260 cam -- Manley springs & retainers -- Stu's Custom Pushrods -- JBA Cat-4ward mids -- Borla cat-back exhaust -- Dana S60 -- 4.56 Yukons -- Superchips / Diablosport Stack-- Mark VIII e-fan -- 8.2mm Taylors

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last." - Sir Winston Churchill

Freeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2011, 11:05 AM   #4
Retired BOD - Doug

Garage
Don't know about the other brand.
A lot of people give Goodyear hell but I've never had an issue and they have lasted me as well as some other brands I've tried. Plus I prefer the raised white letters which few tire makers offer.

RANCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:21 PM   #5
Board of Directors (Jay)

Why is the 55, so much less $ than the 60?
2003, Std. SWB, SLT, 20", 4:56 gear, AFE CAI, Superchip, 6.1 cam, 6.1 heads, Manley springs, retainers, pushrods, Edelbrock Hedders, 195 T-Stat, 8.2 Taylor, AEM, Power Wire, ARC-1,Amsoil Everything, and more. Veni Vidi Vici

HTC.com Titan Killer Club

Member # 17

Superjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 05:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally posted by Vtpapa:
I actually have the Destination LE's on my Ram and they are GREAT tires. Put them on my 07 Silverado EC 4WD and they came OE issue on my 08 AWD Equinox ( suv ). They performed great on those vehicles as well. It is THE tire for me now if purchasing for a truck or suv. I only hope Firestone does not mess with a good thing and leaves them alone!

The Destination LE is one of the top say 3-5 All Season light truck and suv tires on the market. They perform amazing in the snow, they give a nice ride, they are quiet, they wear like iron, and they are very affordable. I actually have felt on the 3 vehicles I have had them on they easily out performed the Michelin LTX M+S tires that were on my 03 and 04 Rams. If you can best the LTX M+S you have a good tire.

Now, on my 08 Ram I have the 20's. The Silverado had 17's and the Equinox 16's. Both were much narrower and thus did better in the snow than the 20's have. We all know wider tires perform worse in snow and on ice than narrower ones right? As a result the LE's have not been quite as good on the Ram as they were the Silverado.

However, I will tell you the LE's have performed a million times better in the bad weather than the OE Junkyear HP's. Heck, the LE's are better in 2WD in snow and on ice than the Goodforayear HP's were in 4WD. I can honestly say the LE's have performed better than any OE issues Crapyear AT's my trucks have come with as well. The only tires to perform better for me have been BFG AT's and Bridgestone Revo's but it is not enough better, for my needs, to justify the negatives of AT's.

The thing is I do not need AT's. It is overkill for me. I do not off road other than the occassional muddy back road or summer boat ramp. I am 99.99% on road. If not for the fact we have such harsh winters here in NH( you know about what I see being from VT )I would not even get a 4WD. But the fact our roads suck from Dec-March I get 4WD. I also waterfowl hunt into mid Feb each year so I see a lot of crappy boat launches. 4WD is a must as a result.

I used to think AT tires were a must too. They cost a lot more, the ride is not as good, they are noisey, MPG suffers, They don't last as long, and so on( compared to good AS tires ). The Michelin LTX M+S did an adequate job but cost too much when I was looking to put new tires on the 07 Silverado. So, I started looking into other AS tires. I looked for the ones that did the best in winter, had a reasonable price, and would last.

The LE's came up time and time again. So, with some doubt and skeptiscism I tried them. I have not looked back since. Just a GREAT tire for those who drive a truck or suv as a DD and see winter weather but do not do any off roading. When I bought my Equinox there were 2 identical ones on the lot I liked but one came with LE's OE and that is the one I chose for that reason. Just 2 months after buying the 08 Ram( soon as I had the $$$ to do it )I replaced the god awful OE POSYear HP's with the LE's.

I HIGHLY recommend them to you.

I have dealt a lot with Town Fair. The local one is pretty good but some of the stores not so much( i.e. the help ). I am very happy with the one I deal with locally. Their prices are usually middle of the road not the besta round as they claim though. Your best bet for the best price is to find a really smoking deal on the LE's somewhere and bring in proof( include shipping or they won't price match )and they will beat the price( by 5% I think it is ).

No photos of the Equinox but here is the Silverado with them and my current truck...

The Firestone Destination LE is a great choice IMO as long as you have no off roading aspirations. Boat lauches, dirt roads, etc... within reason are fine but no sand use or serious off road use.

2.4L 4WD
[color:purple]Royal Purple[/color] #1 :thumb2:
NHHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally posted by Freeze:
I wouldn't let Firestone tires get anywhere near my truck.
I'll never use Coopers!!!!

GONE 2010 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Crew Cab HEMI, 2011 Dodge Durango AWD Crew HEMI, 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn 4x4 Quad Cab HEMI, 2008 Dodge Durango SLT 4x4 HEMI, and my First 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab HEMI

2010 HTC NASCAR Champion

April 25, 2007!!
rdsetgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:42 AM   #8

I've used BF Goodrich and Nitto exclusively, preferring the Nittos.
Can't help you much...

azhemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 03:33 PM   #9
Farrrrrr East Coast

Garage
im a cooper guy...never had an issue and took a lot of abuse...i do however also like some of the BFG's....my uncle had those tires (FS Destinations) on his truck when he bought it, 265/70/17...he liked em used them in the winter and got about 55000 kms out of them..his were p series. i do a fair bit of off road going, from back roads to construction sites, p rated tires are no good to me i need at least a 6 ply tire.

NewfieBullet is offline   Reply With Quote