Tire Question. - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Running Gear | Brakes, Wheels and Tires

Old 09-01-2011, 08:12 PM   #1

Hi all,

I just have some questions. I am running the OEM Goodyear tires 275/60R20 on my Ram. Looking at the BF Goodrich All Terrain 275/65R20. Anyone else running on the BFG's in that size? If so how do you like them? Also, why are they not rated for "severe snow" and what do they consider "severe snow". I can get the BFG's in the rugged terrain also and about $35.00 cheaper per tire. Any and all input is as always greatly appreciated. Thanks.

aFe High Breather
Magnaflow Cat-back exhaust
30% tint
Amsoiled Everything
Nasta step bars
Torsion bar lift (re-keyed)
Line-X spray-in bed liner
Extang Trifecta Tonneau

9/11 Neither Forgive nor Forget.

Rum Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2011, 08:12 PM   #2

Hi all,

I just have some questions. I am running the OEM Goodyear tires 275/60R20 on my Ram. Looking at the BF Goodrich All Terrain 275/65R20. Anyone else running on the BFG's in that size? If so how do you like them? Also, why are they not rated for "severe snow" and what do they consider "severe snow". I can get the BFG's in the rugged terrain also and about $35.00 cheaper per tire. Any and all input is as always greatly appreciated. Thanks.
aFe High Breather
30% tint
Amsoiled Everything
Nasta step bars
Extang Trifecta Tonneau

Old 09-02-2011, 10:30 AM   #3

I can't speak for direct experience but my brother who lives in Pasadena MD runs them on his Ford and has had them for about 7 years now, tread is still great but he's replacing them since they're starting to dry rot a bit. He also runs 31's or 33's ( not 100% on which ). And we take that truck to Greenridge State park every February for our annual freeze your *** off camping trip in the mountains.

Only once so far did he put chains on because of ice on the mountain trails and we never had an issue.

2016 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD Laramie MegaCab 4x4

BTeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2011, 10:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally posted by BTeves:
I can't speak for direct experience but my brother who lives in Pasadena MD runs them on his Ford and has had them for about 7 years now, tread is still great but he's replacing them since they're starting to dry rot a bit. He also runs 31's or 33's ( not 100% on which ). And we take that truck to Greenridge State park every February for our annual freeze your *** off camping trip in the mountains.

Only once so far did he put chains on because of ice on the mountain trails and we never had an issue.

OK, great thanks.
aFe High Breather
30% tint
Amsoiled Everything
Nasta step bars
Extang Trifecta Tonneau

Old 09-02-2011, 04:13 PM   #5

i have the goodyears. 37's though. I think those are better personally. Better than BFGs. BFG all terrains are good but Im a Goodyear person. Its really all about preference. I dont really like the BFG tread either. Kinda lame. but...they do last longer if you take care of them.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally posted by LoveLauren:
i have the goodyears. 37's though. I think those are better personally. Better than BFGs. BFG all terrains are good but Im a Goodyear person. Its really all about preference. I dont really like the BFG tread either. Kinda lame. but...they do last longer if you take care of them.
Yeah, I hear ya. I'm partial to BFG's myself. I've just never had the oppertunity to use the All-Terrains. When I had my jeep I ran 33X12.5R15 Swamper Radials on it.
aFe High Breather
30% tint
Amsoiled Everything
Nasta step bars
Extang Trifecta Tonneau

Old 09-02-2011, 06:44 PM   #7

i had BFGs on my jeep all terrains. if you really want to use them for what theyre for..they wont last...if you take really good care of them..theyll go like 70,000 miles. but thats if your pure street which whats the point in that! I just hated the tread on them..it was so fugly! i hated it so much i got hankooks instead lol.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:45 PM   #8

i havent had any complaints for the goodyears i have now. they are the M/T kevlars. 37x 12.50 R17. Love them
Old 09-03-2011, 08:25 AM   #9
Jim-CO Chapter Dictator

Rum Runner,

Why would you add 14 to 18 pounds per wheel by going from a 275/60R20 to a 275/65R20 and only gain just over a 1/2" ground clearance?

BTW Tire Rack

275/65R20
&
275/60R20

Check out the Specs, Surveys and "All" Reviews. It helped me decide which brand. Esp. when it came to road noise.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:56 AM   #10

RockyMtnXpress,

I'm open to suggestions. I'm not looking for ground clearance, the truck sits fine now. I'm just partial to BFG that's all. I hadn't looked at the weight per tire. I'll look at Tire Rack see what they have. Thanks.
aFe High Breather
30% tint
Amsoiled Everything
Nasta step bars
Extang Trifecta Tonneau