Tire & Brake Upgrade - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Running Gear | Brakes, Wheels and Tires

Old 09-03-2017, 01:52 PM   #1
Kevin

Garage
Tire & Brake Upgrade

For my next set of tires I'm thinking of going bigger. I currently have 33's on 20" rims. I want to keep the rims I have and go with oversize tires. I was thinking Goodyear Wrangler Dura Trac 35's, and then at the same time upgrade the breaking to the Power Stop Z36 truck & tow brake kit. Has anyone here had the Goodyear Dura Tracs or the Power Stop brakes on their trucks? Are they any good? Looking for a review from somebody who has had them, or suggestions for something better. I don't want to go too aggressive, I go off road occasionally, but mostly highway. Need good traction and breaking power for towing camper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170903_131659093.jpg (98.1 KB, 3 views)

Check out my Ram truck feature page on Instagram @RamTruckAddicts and submit your truck pics.
BIG RED HEMI MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2017, 12:45 PM   #2

Lightbulb

If I had a 4x4 truck my choice would be the best quality MICHELIN tire available in the size and tread pattern you want...for brakes I would choose the EBC Stage 5 rotor and pad sets...again this is just my choice...you will find many excellent options above the factory equipment IMO.

HemiFun05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 04:04 PM   #3
Kevin

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiFun05 View Post
If I had a 4x4 truck my choice would be the best quality MICHELIN tire available in the size and tread pattern you want...for brakes I would choose the EBC Stage 5 rotor and pad sets...again this is just my choice...you will find many excellent options above the factory equipment IMO.

Thanks for your suggestions! I have Michelin tires on my work truck that I like, but I want all terrain tires with shoulder tread for more traction in gravel, mud and snow, and Michelin tires don't make that style of tires. Also, I don't think they make the size tire I want. I looked at EBC rotors, and they are nice, but I want rotors that are drilled & slotted to keep the rotors cooler for heavy breaking, but they don't make those.

Did you have any damage from hurricane harvey at your place?

Check out my Ram truck feature page on Instagram @RamTruckAddicts and submit your truck pics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2017, 01:52 PM   #4

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG RED HEMI MN View Post
Thanks for your suggestions! I have Michelin tires on my work truck that I like, but I want all terrain tires with shoulder tread for more traction in gravel, mud and snow, and Michelin tires don't make that style of tires. Also, I don't think they make the size tire I want. I looked at EBC rotors, and they are nice, but I want rotors that are drilled & slotted to keep the rotors cooler for heavy breaking, but they don't make those.

Did you have any damage from hurricane harvey at your place?
----------------------------------------------
Very thankfully at my specific location I only received 22.4" of much needed rain spread over a period of five days...just forty miles south of me the devastation began...thanks for asking. Sure hope hurricane IRMA spares the east coast - our Florida members may be in harm's way .

If Michelin doesn't have what you want...take a look at the Nitto's - they seem to be high quality and offer several patterns of various aggression. As for the rotors - the dimpled & slotted EBC rotors offer very similar cooling as the completely drilled rotors without sacrificing any structural integrity and cracking potential often seen with 'full drilled' rotors - especially in heavy vehicle applications.

HemiFun05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 03:58 PM   #5
David

Garage
Ive been looking into more aggressive tires. A friend of mine recommended Toyo Open Country ATII I also like the RT series. Its a cross between the MT and AT.

ATXHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:24 PM   #6
Kevin

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiFun05 View Post
----------------------------------------------
Very thankfully at my specific location I only received 22.4" of much needed rain spread over a period of five days...just forty miles south of me the devastation began...thanks for asking. Sure hope hurricane IRMA spares the east coast - our Florida members may be in harm's way .

If Michelin doesn't have what you want...take a look at the Nitto's - they seem to be high quality and offer several patterns of various aggression. As for the rotors - the dimpled & slotted EBC rotors offer very similar cooling as the completely drilled rotors without sacrificing any structural integrity and cracking potential often seen with 'full drilled' rotors - especially in heavy vehicle applications.

I was looking at the Nitto Exo Grappler, nice tires but very expensive. You make a good point on the dimpled vs drilled rotors, I'll have to look into those more. Thanks for the info!

Old 09-05-2017, 09:32 PM   #7
Kevin

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXHEMI View Post
Ive been looking into more aggressive tires. A friend of mine recommended Toyo Open Country ATII I also like the RT series. Its a cross between the MT and AT.
Someone else recommended the Toyo A/T 2 tires to me as well, but I've never heard of them before, so I'm kind of hesitant. They may be good tires, but I would rather go with something I've heard of before.

Old 09-07-2017, 02:02 PM   #8
David

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG RED HEMI MN View Post
Someone else recommended the Toyo A/T 2 tires to me as well, but I've never heard of them before, so I'm kind of hesitant. They may be good tires, but I would rather go with something I've heard of before.
He works at a Ford dealer. They put them on their "Specialty Built" trucks. He said their customers have loved them.

ATXHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:59 PM   #9
Kevin

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXHEMI View Post
He works at a Ford dealer. They put them on their "Specialty Built" trucks. He said their customers have loved them.
I'll have to look more into them. I just talked to someone who has Goodyear Dura Trac tires on his truck and he said he likes them but the tread wear isn't that good. That may be due to the way he drives, but I don't know. Thanks for your input on this!!

Old 10-28-2017, 10:28 AM   #10

I just switched from Mich AT2s and put the BFG ATs on...could not be happier with them. Very quiet on the road, almost as quiet as my Mich tires and they do great with all types of terrain. I have been a Mich guy for a long time too but needed something a little beefier for the mountains.
PIAA Ultra White Headlights & Silverstar Fog Lights
Westin Chrome Step Bars
Mostly Stock and Still Runs Like a Champ!
HemiDave is offline   Reply With Quote