Shocks for torsion bar lift - Page 2 - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Running Gear | Brakes, Wheels and Tires

Old 01-09-2005, 01:49 AM   #11

Shocks for torsion bar lift

Let us know how it turns out. When I get home I'm gonna put the Rancho 9000s after I crank my torsion bars.

Jasoncop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2005, 02:26 PM   #12

It's been a little over two weeks now. About a week ago I started noticing a "rattle" type noise like something was loose when I would go down the "not so well maintained roads" we have. Today I finally got tired of it and investigated. The Rancho's are a little over an inch to short for full length suspension travel. So I am topping them out...which isn't good. Turns out there is no such "direct replacement" when you crank the torsion bars. I spent about 1.5 hours trying different things to get at least another inch of travel. No luck. The only thing I am left with is to get the upper shock mounts lowered 1.5 inches. This would directly compensate for the amount of lift I got from the crank job. Looks like I will be stopping by the local welding shop soon to get a price.
Big Budda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 04:52 PM   #13
Director Emeritus

Garage

Thanks for the follow up BB... it's too bad there isn't a shock available to fit the torsion bar turn mod
MrHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2005, 07:01 PM   #14

There is a kit available from www.offroadunlimited.com for the GM Heavy Duty trucks with the torsion bars. It won't fit our 4x4 1500's (I asked), but it does come with long-travel Bilstein 5100-series. Those might fit. Time to email Bilstein.
Freeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 01:51 PM   #15

Well, not being completely satisfied with yesterdays findings, I pulled the left front tire off today. Took me about 3 seconds to find the source of my noise. The left front axle, inboard cv joint is loose. I checked the right side and it is tight. It only makes noise when I go over dips and bumps. I still have a shock length problem...it's just not the source of my noise, so that much is good news. I guess I will have to join the ranks of those that have needed warrenty work done. Now I will have to see if they tell me I caused that by cranking up the torsion bars...lol! I have a beer window squeak and a drivers mirror rattle I need fixed anyway...oh yeah and that weather strip problem on the drivers door.
Old 01-26-2005, 02:15 PM   #16

Quote:
quote: Okay, here is what I have learned... stock shocks have a 13-18" travel length. At resting hieght it is 15". With the 1.5" lift the shocks now sit at 15.8". I will use Rancho RS5000 direct replacements for the rear as I did no lifting in the back. The fronts will get P/N RS5283. Travel length is 12.5-19.1".
I'm kind of at a loss, if the 5283's are supposed to be a 1/2" shorter at comp. and 1" longer on extension, how were they too long? Did the shop double check to make sure the shocks you ordered were boxed correctly? If you go to the Rancho site, even they have the applications listed wrong. It shows the 5283's for a 4" lift, but the 5221's for a stock height 1/2 ton w/ the offroad package. 5221's are 14.5" comp. and 21.25" extended
racer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 02:41 PM   #17

The tech that was putting them on had the manager come out and they agreed the shocks would be to long. The "stock" Rancho replacements will work if you do not do any serious off roading, i.e.... wheels off the ground. As far as compression goes...good luck with bottoming out the suspension without doing the previous mentioned. Ride quality is great compared to the OEM shocks.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:49 PM   #18

Racer20, the 5221's are for the 2000-2001 1500 with the solid front axle and Off-Road package.
Freeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 10:05 AM   #19

My bad, I was looking at Rancho's site about 3am, overlooked the year.
racer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 09:09 PM   #20

I did a torsion lift about 2 months ago and the only negative i have was the stock shocks bottom out when i went over small speed bumps in my parking lot and pot holes on the street,things that did not occur before the lift.I went to a lift shop to replace the front shocks with RANCHO ones.They told me they would work but when they tried to install, they could not compress them enough.So what i`m trying to find out is there any shock out there to fix my problem.I don`t do off roading and i`m not sure what kind of RANCHO they tried to used in the shop, only that it had 2 more inches of travel.Thanks for anybodys help.
CelticHemi is offline   Reply With Quote