Problem with Discount Tire - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Running Gear | Brakes, Wheels and Tires

Old 09-24-2006, 01:37 PM   #1

Problem with Discount Tire

On 1/20/2006 I had new Nitto 420 305/40/22 put on my new SRT 10 22 knockoffs. I remember the guy that installed the tires on the wheels told me that he had a problem with getting them balanced, but if they start to vibrate to come back and he will try again, they were fine, have had them rotated and balanced every 5,000 miles, but for the last month I have had nothing but horrible vibration problems and it rears its ugly head around 74-80MPH, I have been to discount 3 times in 2 weeks to have them re-checked and rebalanced. The first time they did it wrong (according to the tech on the 2nd trip), he guaranteed he corrected the problem but after 2 days the vibration was back, I checked the tire and all of the sticky weights were still in place and went back again. Again I was told they were off balance, so they rebalanced the tires, I watched this time, and off I went and they STILL VIBRATE-WTF!!! I took my spare and HemiLoredo03 spare and put them on the front of the truck this morning and ran the truck down the HWY, no vibration, but at 90mph I get this horrible humming noise in the drivers side area as I have heard this in the past, hhhmmmm, dont know, so know I'm thinking its been the tires this whole time, If they balanced them wrong 2 times and they got choppy or cupped, is that my fault, I looked at my paperwork and its says the tires are guaranteed for life, what does that mean. KYLE what do I do from here.

CentralTexHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2006, 01:54 PM   #2

The balance of the tire should not make them choppy or cupped. That is usually worn shocks or in rare cases alignment problems. Also if you do a lot of burn outs, then rotate those tires to the fron they are probably not going to ride real smooth at first.

The SRT10 knock off wheels are super heavy and not the best quality wheels on the market so they are probably not real true (real round).

I would have them deflate the tires and rotate them on the wheels and see if that helps any.

Also find out how much weight they are putting on the wheels. After 2.5 to 3 oz they may show balanced on the machine but they are probably going to shake on the road. Also is all the weight in one location on the wheel? If they have weights at more than one spot it's not really balanced. Typically if they add weight twice then they put too much weight on the first time or they put it in the wrong location. If you have weights at 1 location and more weights 180 degrees (or straight across on the other side of the wheel) then it's really "counterbalanced" and it's going to shake.

It's not real cool looking but the best balance is one with weights on the inside and outside lips of the wheels. Anytime they use stick on weights in the center or weights only on the inside lip then the balance job is not as good.

I say sell the wheels and either get some real light 22's like the Centerlines Kyle has, or sell the wheels and tires and get some even lighter and smaller ones. Those big heavy wheels and tires are not doing you any favors performance wise anyways.
Beast 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 04:09 PM   #3

Check the driveshaft too. I know of a few people that have the vibs at that speed and a warped driveshaft was the culprit.
proudhemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2006, 04:41 PM   #4
The Original Bee

Have the tire/ wheel assy. fazed balanced.

Matches the tire and wheel for least amount of vibration.

Find a dealer with Hunter 9700 machine, the best in the world for solving this problem.We have one at the dealer I work for and love it.

Also will tell you if you have a bad wheel or tire.
HemiSuperBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 05:16 PM   #5

Stop drinking so much caffeine.
azhemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 07:04 PM   #6

Another problem is that at 90-95MPH i get a horrible humming/vibration from the rear of the truck and smooths out at 105mph???? Whats going on
Old 09-24-2006, 09:00 PM   #7
semo03hemiram

CTH, check your driveshaft and U joint about the rear end hum. As many burnouts as you do, and hard acceleration, it is possible one or both are failing. The other part about the tires, I would agree with Beast 2 and HemiSuperBee, but also check to see if you have a split belt inside the tire itself.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:37 AM   #8

Thanks guys, will put her in the shop tomorrow
Old 09-25-2006, 10:42 AM   #9

Let HemiLoredo03 try your 22's and see if he can duplicate the problem.
EZ4U2CHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 11:08 AM   #10

I was gonna try that, just a PITA to swap out the tires. I could put the spare 20's on the back and try that too