Hemi Truck Club banner

looking to upgrade rims and tires

3K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  NewfieBullet 
#1 ·
OK so i have a 2003 dodge ram 1500 5.7 hemi rwd with a 3 inch suspension lift kit i want to go bigger with tires and i wanted to get some input. i right now have stock rims with 246/70/r17 i am looking at new Black Rock Type 8 17x9 -12 offset rims and Cooper Discoverer S/T MAXX Radial Tire - 295/70R17 121Q tires. they would make it out to be 33'' tires. here is a link so you can see the info of both tire and rim.

https://www.customwheeloffset.com/b...7x9-12-cooper-discoverer-s-t-maxx-lt295-70r17

so im trying to find out if they will fit my truck and look good!!! with no rubbing or any problems i don't really off-road but i do haul trailers and stuff "i do have airbags" . and will i have to get the truck re-geared.

thanks for all the help in advance.

#2 ·
I like the look of the rim, the offset will certainly move the tire outward. Tire looks good. Factory 20" tires if I remember correctly are 33" tall and the rim has a 6" bs. This i would think will move the edge of the tire to just outside the fender edge. IMO, most definitely needs 4:56 gear to maintain performance and save the transmission.

#9 ·
Imo, your truck will benefit from the gear no matter what tire you pick.

#11 ·
The 295 should fit fine, -12 isn't that much offset, roughly 1/2" and the stock rims are 17x9 too so no drastic changes there.

What gear ratio do you have right now? I had an '06 2500 that I put 285x70r17 on that had 4.10 gears. Definitely noticed a little difference going from a 265 but nothing drastic.

Something that you'll have to keep in mind is that you may want to get a tuner capable of calibrating the speedometer or a speedometer calibrator for the tire size change. You don't need to worry about the re-gear messing it up because the reluctor is on the ring gear :thumb:

#13 ·
I checked my sticker mine 3.55 its my work truck im a contractor so i haul stuff i dont race or offroad inless in the mountains so a -12 is only 1/2 inch crap... i need at least 1.5 inches want the tires to stick out i have fender flares wanted to fill the void.... finding a good rim and tire is a pain in the ***

#16 ·
A pretty common offset lifted guys run is -44 :thumb:

Attachments

#17 ·
be careful with too much offset, especially in the front. For every mm you move the tire out with offset, you also move it forward in the front wheel well.....when the wheel is turned. This would mean that the tires will clear when straight, but hit the front bumper when turned. It's a delicate balance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.