K&N drop in filters? - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Running Gear | Brakes, Wheels and Tires

Old 04-07-2005, 11:52 AM   #1

K&N drop in filters?

Are these worth the $$$? Any actual difference in performance/mpg?

RamVett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2005, 12:26 PM   #2
Director Emeritus

Garage
K&N drop in filters?

Let's just say they're better than a stock filter, but that's about it. Per the folks at K&N, a drop-in filter will provide "up to" a 2% HP gain. That's only 3-6 ponnies for us. Not worth the cost in my book
MrHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 12:52 PM   #3

K&N drop in filters?

I have one sitting in my basement of you want it. I used it for about 9000 miles. It's yours for only 30 bucks.
Dan, the Nice Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2005, 03:56 PM   #4

K&N drop in filters?

Thanks for the replies, I kinda though they were not worth $$$$.
Dan, thanks for the offer, but I guess I'll put the $$$ towards a CAI of some sort.
RamVett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 04:34 PM   #5

K&N drop in filters?

Actually, I will respectfully disgree with the two previous posters on whether or not the K&N is worth the $$$. Yes, it actually is. I go over this all the time with folks. Here is why.

The first thing you have to understand is there is NO drop in filter that is going to give you any kind of real HP or torque increase. That is a myth plain and simple. If you want to increase HP & torque then install a CAI kit.

As to MPG increase. I have run K&N drop in's for years in my Rams( 2 360's, 1 4.7L, and now my HEMI ). I see approx a .5MPG gain using them. Nothing really significant but a slight increase.

A K&N drop in will also let your engine breathe a bit easier than the standard paper filters. This may equate to a .5-1.0 HP gain. Again, nothing you are going to really notice.

The real benefit to using the K&N is actually the cost factor. If you are not going to run a CAI that means you will need to run a standard air filter setup. Paper filters may go 10-12K max before they need replacing. I think the manual on my 04 says 15K but NO WAY that is too long. I always replaced at 7500 +/-. Anyway...

The cost of a regular paper filter is going to set you back in the neighborhood of $25-$35 to fit our HEMI Rams( also fits the 4.7L Rams ). The cost is CRAZY for these fitlers for some reason. The K&N drop in filter will run you approx $60( +/- $5 range depending on where you buy it ).

You can go 50K on the K&N before you either A) - replace it or B) - clean and recharge it( cost $19 for recharge kit ). So, when you look at the following numbers you will see just why the K&N is worth the money if you are going to run a regular air filter setup.

Here we go...

50K w/ K&N = $60

50K w/ Paper filter:
Option A) changed at 10K means 5 filters @ $30 each( I will use the average price ) = $150
Option B) changed at 15K means 3 1/3rd filters at $30 each = $100

Now, that means you save $40 to $90 on air filters over the 50K interval and you have a filter that works better, lets your engine breathe a little better, requires no maintenance or care on your part during the 50K( it is pop it in and forget it basically ), and even gives you a slight MPG boost.

Now if you look at 100K which is about how long most folks would keep a vehicle that would mean you would have to deal with the K&N filter at the halfway mark. So you can either replace it and pay another $60 or buy a kit for $19 and clean and recharge the old one and reuse it.

So at the most you will spend $120 on 2 K&N filters over 100K. Clean, recharge, and reuse the same one and it is less than $80 for 100K.
You will also only have to deal with the AF 2X's in that 100K.

Or, you can run standard paper filters which do not work as well as the K&N drop in, you will have to deal with changing the AF 7-10 times instead of 2, and you will spend $200-$300 over the same 100K.

All in all the K&N drop in most definitely is worth the $$$ as long as you understand why. If you want more HP/performance than it is not what you want. Get a CAI for that. If you are going to run a regular air filter set up it is a great investment.

You pay less, you don't have to change it as often, you get a slight MPG boost, and you get better filtration performance( while still allowing the engine to breathe easier )out of the AF than you do standard paper ones.

K&N = two BIG thumbs up!! This message has been edited. Last edited by: NHHEMI, document.write(''+ myTimeZone('Thu, 07 Apr 2005 13:44:51 GMT-0700', '07 April 2005 04:44 PM')+''); 07 April 2005 04:44 PM
NHHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 05:37 PM   #6
Director Emeritus

Garage
K&N drop in filters?

Well said NHHEMI... well said. When you're comparing paper filters (stock) to the K&N drop-in, it is worth the money to go K&N (if you want to stay basically stock).
MrHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 06:12 PM   #7
DG

K&N drop in filters?

I've used K&N on several vehicles but won't on vehicles that spend time in dusty off-road environments. The test at the attached link show that K&N is the best for high airflow, but the worst for filtering dirt.

http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm
DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 09:29 PM   #8
*Damn*its*gotta*Hemi*

K&N drop in filters?

NH, regarding the K&N recharge kit (cleaner and oil) I just bought one since I used the last of my dad's on the last cleaning of my CAI, and paid 11.50 for it. Not a bad price. Good thing is much better over time.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:43 PM   #9
*Damn*its*gotta*Hemi*

K&N drop in filters?

While it appears that K&N is the "worst" filter in regards to its capacity to filter particles out, by looking at the graph, it is correct. Now, if I were to do a test of statistical significance, that means, is the amount of particles removed by the filter significantly different than those it was tested against, I would have to say no, that statistically there is no significant difference between the top six brands on the first graph. The bottom 3 are significantly different (top 6 are 99% and the bottom three are 96-98% airflow efficency)

The following is from the website, the problem I have with some of the statements is taht while he may believe that through these tests that paper is as good as the aftermarket brands, but he did not show these filters tested ona truck using a Dyno.. my .02 cents

Arlen) SPICER wrote,

“Now that I am not doing the tests and my objectivity is not necessary, let me explain my motivation. The reason I started this crusade was that I was seeing people spend a lot of money on aftermarket filters based on the word of a salesperson or based on the misleading, incomplete or outright deceiving information printed on boxes and in sales literature. Gentlemen and Ladies, Marketing and the lure of profit is VERY POWERFUL! It is amazing how many people believe that better airflow = more power! Unless you have modifications out the wazoo, a more porous filter will just dirty your oil! Some will say " I have used aftermarket brand X for XXX # years with no problems. The PROBLEM is you spent a chunk of ching on a product that not only DID NOT increase your horsepower, but also let in a lot of dirt while doing it! Now how much is a lot? ANY MORE THAN NECESSARY is TOO MUCH!

Others are persuaded by the claims of aftermarket manufacturers that their filters filter dirt "better than any other filter on the market." Sounds very enticing. To small timers like you and me, spending $1500 to test a filter sounds like a lot. But if you were a filter manufacturer and you believed your filter could filter dirt better than any other media on the market, wouldn't you want to prove it? Guess what. Test your filter vs. the OE paper. It will cost you $3000 and for that price you will have the data that you can use in your advertisements. Your investment will be returned a thousand fold! EASIER than shooting fish in a barrel! So why don't these manufacturers do this? Hmmm? Probably not because they would feel guilty about taking more market share.

Now I am not saying that ALL aftermarket filters are useless. A paper filter does not do well if directly wetted or muddy. It may collapse. This is why many off-road filters are foam. It is a compromise between filtering efficiency and protection from a collapsed filter. Now how many of our trucks collapse their filters from mud and water? However, if a filter is using "better airflow" as their marketing tool, remember this....Does it flow better? At very high airflow volumes, probably. BUT, Our trucks CAN'T flow that much air unless super-modified, so what is the point? The stock filter will flow MORE THAN ENOUGH AIR to give you ALL THE HORSEPOWER the engine has to give. And this remains true until the filter is dirty enough to trip the air filter life indicator. At that point performance will decline somewhat. Replace the filter and get on with it.

Hopefully the results of this test will do 2 things. Shed some light on the misleading marketing claims of some aftermarket manufacturers and/or give us new insight on products already on the market that are superior to our OE filter. I stand for truth and will eat my words publicly if my statements prove wrong. I appreciate all of the help and support that you members have offered in this project. It would simply be impossible without your help. A huge thanks to Ken at Testand for his willingness to take on this project. I would be spinning my wheels from here to eternity without his help… SPICER”

Our thanks to Arlen and Ken for making the test happen and providing the valuable test results for the benefit of all.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:58 PM   #10
DG

K&N drop in filters?

I was defending K&N on another board and kept hearing horror stories from other members. All the links they pointed me to were competitor's ads, so I did some research of my own. I'm not sure if the particles passed by the K&N are significant enough to cause any damage, but I now don't think I care to take the risk for very little to no HP gain from a drop-in filter. These filters were designed for racing applications where they will sacrafice motor longevity for every ounce of power during the race. It doesn't seem too long ago when you could only buy K&N filters from speed shops. Now they are available in nearly every parts store.
DG is offline   Reply With Quote