K&N drop in filters? - Page 2 - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Running Gear | Brakes, Wheels and Tires

Old 04-08-2005, 12:10 AM   #11
*Damn*its*gotta*Hemi*

K&N drop in filters?

DG, hey man its what you think for your vehicle. But you do bring up a good point about the particle size: .5 and .25 micron is fairly small.. In a large amount it ads up, but if it doesn't affect the engine then I wouldnt be too concerned. Like to know more..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2005, 12:18 AM   #12
O.H.

K&N drop in filters?

I've got one in my truck right now. Not sure on the power gain or fuel efficiency increase, the last two trucks got drop in filters within 5 miles of the dealership. It's cheaper than the CAI for me right now with no funds....
Old 04-08-2005, 12:22 AM   #13
*Damn*its*gotta*Hemi*

K&N drop in filters?

In the long run, aftermarket, no paper filters do eventually save money. your choice, I dont care, goin with a K&N was mine. You know your truck better than any of us and your driving conditions as well as what kind of tolerances you will accept..

OH, did the fire call end ok??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2005, 12:27 AM   #14
O.H.

K&N drop in filters?

2 car MVA. One female patient crossed the center line and couldn't feel her lower extremities. She was concious, however bleeding from both ears (not a good sign). She was transported. The other driver turned out to be drunk but the crash wasn't her fault. she was transported to our office and processed for DWI. Just got home a couple minutes ago, thanks for asking though. This reminds me, time to recharge the K&N. Glad this was brought up!
Old 04-08-2005, 12:44 AM   #15
*Damn*its*gotta*Hemi*

K&N drop in filters?

Wow.. Well, hope things work out for the one that caused the accident but required more medical care.

No prob on the topic I'm here to talk.
Old 04-08-2005, 07:36 AM   #16

K&N drop in filters?

Depending on driving conditions, paper filters clog fairly quickly and drop MPG. I clean my K&N every time I change my oil, a recharge kit will last quite a few cleanings. As far as particle size and engine damage, that is why you clean the filter and change oil regularly.

Heck, I ran my 69 camaro for over 40K miles with no filter at all! Not that that is good, but engine life will not be harmed by .5 microns!!
CRAZYHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 09:15 AM   #17

K&N drop in filters?

WOW!!!! Look what I started! All this because I keep hearing that CAI kits are too loud? So I figured I'd get some info on K&N drop ins. Boy did I get educated!
Thanks to all those replies!
Now how about a QUIET CAI?
RamVett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 04:10 PM   #18

K&N drop in filters?

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RamVett:
WOW!!!! Look what I started! All this because I keep hearing that CAI kits are too loud? So I figured I'd get some info on K&N drop ins. Boy did I get educated!
Thanks to all those replies!
Now how about a QUIET CAI?
Unless you can modify the HEMI Hat to work with one of the CAI kits it won't be quiet. THAT is what makes the stock setup quiet. Unfortunately, to rig it so you have the HEMI Hat with the internal baffles to quiet it down you would in effect negate the benefit of the CAI.

You either have a CAI and live with the noise or you run the stock setup.

Now, with that said, there may be a compromise option for you. I have never heard one so I don't know if it would be any quieter than afull blown CAI or not? It might though.

360 Air Intakes makes a kit called the "Kool Shot Intake Kit" What it does is remove the HEMI Hat and stock air inlet tube and replace them with a piece of 4" tubing. It uses the stock air box.

Now, it is "possible" this setup may be a bit quieter than the full blown CAI kits that use the cone filter. I say that as I would assume you won't be sucking as much air through the air box as you would a cone filter mounted in the open. The HEMI Hat won't be there to muffle the noise but maybe this setup won't be as noisy as a full blown CAI? Might be in between stock and a CAI.

Kit costs $175 and you have a ton of color options for the tube. Here is the info on it

03-04 HEMI Kool Shot Kit (200-57KS)

Fits: 03-04
Motor: 5.7L HEMI
Description:

4" Aircraft Aluminum Tubing
High Flow Foam or cotton Replacement Filter
Powder Coated Finish
Will Not Void Your Warranty!
Pending C.A.R.B Approval
MPG Saving: 2 City / 3.7 Highway

Horsepower: 12HP/16TQ( dyno sheet )

<<< 360 AirIntakes Kool Shot Kit >>>