help w/dyno #'s - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Running Gear | Brakes, Wheels and Tires

Old 02-19-2005, 09:55 AM   #1

help w/dyno #'s

i would appreciate some input from those familiar with dynos regarding these #'s. The pull was done yesterday at dtp, the same location that most of the other virginia folks have used. the peak on torque seems to be in line but the peak hp was lower than i expected. i do not have a baseline run to compare against. my performance mods include sc tuner, afe intake, and dynatech header system running into the hemi-specific flowmaster (single in-dual out). sorry for the long post but i'm trying to include all pertinent information. now if i can only send the attachment correctly.

Hemiheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2005, 11:29 AM   #2

help w/dyno #'s

Isn't that about the same as yours was MrHemi with the same mods in Daytona?

Those are the numbers I am expecting at the next dyno, would like to be closer to 300HP!

MrHemi setup
"92 degrees in the dyno shop and 45% humidity. Not the best day to see the maximum horsepower the Hemi had to offer! We did three runs on the dyno, running 3rd gear pulls (1:1 ratio), and used a 23% drivetrain loss factor. The baseline horsepower and torque was achieved with the 3:92 rear end running 20” wheels, and the following modifications (previously installed): aFe cold air intake, Gibson Super Truck, Superchips Programmer, and AMSOIL Series 2000 0W-30 synthetic engine oil."
MoneyHSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 02:14 PM   #3
Director Emeritus

Garage
help w/dyno #'s

Hemiheel - The cold weather probably had a lot to do with it... the dyno at DTP adjusts for climate changes big time. For example, the dyno sheet Money pulled up was on a very hot day last summer... my last dyno at DTP it was close to freezing and the best run I got was 284 HP. So don't despair... you're probably in the high 290s
MrHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2005, 02:35 PM   #4

help w/dyno #'s

don't misunderstand. there is no despair in this corner. it is just that from my limited understanding, the 326 lbs of torque would have translated to higher peak hp. i know from previous posts that heat and humidity can lower the #'s but thought the cooler temps would help rather than hurt. all that being said, i am very pleased with the "on street" performance of this truck. i have had several opportunities to play since the addition of the headers and the results are readily apparent. for a 5000+lb truck this thing is a monster off the line.
Old 02-19-2005, 03:07 PM   #5

help w/dyno #'s

I thought it was the cooler days that woud give you better numbers?
MoneyHSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 03:59 PM   #6

help w/dyno #'s

same here.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:24 PM   #7

help w/dyno #'s

You will make more horsepower on a cooler day, but the dyno should not necessarily reflect it. A dyno will factor temperature and barometric pressure and/or humidity to provide an SAE corrected horsepower calculation. On warm days, hp is added; on cold days it is subtracted. There is a margin of error for SAE correction, but it should not be more than +/-1%. A dyno reading is useless without a constant, so it factors it to a constant temp and pressure.

An easy way to check your dyno numbers is first verify the temp and pressure are entered correctly (should be printed on the graph), second verify the torque and horspower lines intersect at 5252 RPM.

Dynos can only measure torque, they calculate horspower by the equation:

HP= (torque*RPM)/ 5252
Motohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 10:01 PM   #8

help w/dyno #'s

Good to know...gonna dig up my dyno sheet right meow!
Freeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 01:17 AM   #9
*Damn*its*gotta*Hemi*

help w/dyno #'s

Freeze, speaking of Super Troopers of course. LOL... Great movie, "Meow, you listen to me sir."
Old 04-19-2005, 09:13 AM   #10

help w/dyno #'s

im a new member, cip5150 here. i have a 2004 bright silver with knn intake, borla out back and a hypertech power 3. yesterday at 80 degrees i posted 277.9hp and 292.5 torque. i was pretty happy with these numbers and was wondering what it will taked to get to 300 hp? thanks
cip5150 is offline   Reply With Quote