Goodyear Wranglers - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Running Gear | Brakes, Wheels and Tires

Old 02-09-2005, 10:54 PM   #1

Goodyear Wranglers

Anyone having problems with the Goodyear Wranglers that came w your truck on the 17" rims? My tread seems to be wearing pretty fast.

Ares is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2005, 11:10 PM   #2

Goodyear Wranglers

Welcome to the club. As far as the tred wearing to fast. Its a case of the hemi foot. Its far worce than a lead foot. And i knotice it alot more after each lil performance mod i do to my truck Just turned 40k and my tires are bald
mScott80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 01:57 AM   #3
*Damn*its*gotta*Hemi*

Goodyear Wranglers

I have damn michelins.. On my 99 and 01 Rams I had the wrangler. I really liked the look, but man the second truck I went right throught them boogers...My michelins are ugly but i Have almost 30k on them...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2005, 06:20 AM   #4

Goodyear Wranglers

The Wranglers, and Goodyear in general, are some of the WORST tires ever made! I flat out refuse to buy a vehicle now with Goodyear tires. I either pick a model with something else or the dealer is going to have to swap them to something else. Otherwise, I will go somewhere else that will.

My first 3 new 4X4 1500 Ram's( 94/97/01 )all came with the Goodyear Wrangler tires. For about the first 7K or so they were fine. By 10K though they were almost half worn out. Never got more than 2 years from a set before they were worn out. I got 29K out of the ones on the 97, 27K out of the ones on the 94, and just 24K out of the set on the 01.

I religiously rotate my tires every 5K and I don't do any kind of off road stuff that should hasten their demise. I also don't do big smoking burn outs like you see in Mr. Hemi's video. The tires flat out suck!

When I bought my 03 4.7L 4X4 1500 I chose a truck with Michelins. There were some other ones I preferred but they had Goodyears = NOT! When I bought my 04 1500 HEMI 4X4 I again chose a truck from the lot with the Michelins and passed on some other trucks I liked a little better because they again had Goodyears.

What you are experiencing is normal with Goodyear tires. Get ready to replace them within like 10k or so.

You may notice a few threads I have made recently about tires. I currently am searching for a more aggressive all terrain tire to replace the Michelin tires on my truck( going with Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo ). I literally walked out of one tire dealer laughing so hard I was almost in tears because of the sales pitch he put on trying to get me to buy some Goodyear tires.

I told him 3 times, and right from the very get go when I first approached him, that I was absolutely NOT interested in GY's. He kept trying to get me there though. I finally said forget it and started to leave. He actually hollered "you won't find a better tire". Got me laughing so hard I thought I would faint. He on the other hand got real red. Angry? Embarrassed? Both?

The guy kept trying to get me to go outside and look at the GY's on his truck. He kept trying to tell me the Wrangler RT(RTS? ) tires on his trukc were like 3 years old and had 80K on them. I looked at them on the way out and you could still see the little hairy nub things on the tread you ONLY see when a tire is brand new and there was even a few traces of the blue stuff covering the white letters on his tires. They were brand new. Guess he thought I was a chump? This message has been edited. Last edited by: NHHEMI, document.write(''+ myTimeZone('Thu, 10 Feb 2005 03:32:21 GMT-0800', '10 February 2005 06:32 AM')+''); 10 February 2005 06:32 AM
NHHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 11:14 AM   #5

Goodyear Wranglers

Goodyear=Treadwear...had to replace my 20"ers with 22,500 miles on 'em...did'nt mind though cause they were not that great anyway...good traction for first 10,000 miles, after that got kinda scary in rain...poor traction, hydroplaning...I don't think you can expect too many miles out of a tire with a treadwear rating of 300 like the wranglers...anyways, got yokohamas now, 500 tredwear, not quite the dry traction as the goodyear but will get longer life and better wet traction/resistance to hydroplaning, I like 'em...
TooTallll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 01:48 PM   #6
Officer Hemi

Goodyear Wranglers

I've got 13k on my Wrangler GSA's. They are truly junk, but I usually get at least 20k out of mine. These are coming off after the trip to Arlington and being replaced with either Cooper ST's (33X12.50R17), or BFG AT K/O's (315-70R17)
Old 02-10-2005, 09:01 PM   #7

Goodyear Wranglers

Crap, hit the enter key.
I'm glad that it isn't just me but it still sucks that Goodyear infected all of you with the same sucky tire. I have about 14k on my truck and the tires chirp with moderate driving. Agressive driving just creates a racket with the chirping on the pavement.
Ares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 09:26 PM   #8

Goodyear Wranglers

I can't say enough bad things about my Goodyear A/T-S pieces of sh*t. That's why I didn't mind doing the burnout video. The sooner I can wear them out, the better. They'll be replaced with the BFG A/T or M/T, although I might hold out for the new BFG M/T planned for sometime in '05.
Freeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 10:30 PM   #9
*Damn*its*gotta*Hemi*

Goodyear Wranglers

Wow! There is some good, healthy anger here for shi*ty products!
Old 02-10-2005, 11:36 PM   #10
TXHEMI &amp TJHEMI

Goodyear Wranglers

I HATED the Wranglers that came on my '99. Went to BFG Longtrails, and never looked back! Best truck tires I've ever had!

But it could have been worse, just be glad DC doesn't use BLOWOUTS, I mean firestones.

Tex