factory lug nut problems - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Running Gear | Brakes, Wheels and Tires

Old 01-13-2005, 04:04 PM   #1

factory lug nut problems

Has anyone had any problems with the factory lug nuts? I went to pull the wheels to paint the calipers and two of the finished lug covers came loose from the actual lug nut,but are still on the nut. That ended the whole project. I used a 22 mm socket and Ive never had the wheels off myself, I always take it somewhere to rotate the tires.If anyone knows of a way to get those lug nuts loose Id appreciate it, and also will an after market lug work? Cant believe that Dodge would put cheap nuts on such a expensive truck!!!!

HEMI-LAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2005, 04:09 PM   #2

factory lug nut problems

What problems are having with them? Do they buldge out and you crack the crome due to the rusted ubderlaying? And the socket never fits right...
mScott80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 05:39 PM   #3

factory lug nut problems

the finished lug just spins loose on the actual lug nut thats underneath,you cant get the lug off because the finished part is loose
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2005, 05:52 PM   #4
Director Emeritus

Garage
factory lug nut problems

Take it to the dealer for a complete lug replacement... those lugs are defective. This is the first time I've ever heard this, so it's an isolated issue. Falls under the warranty so you're cool.
MrHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 06:40 PM   #5

factory lug nut problems

Are they on the same wheel?
Freeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 07:51 PM   #6

factory lug nut problems

Yes,I only started on one wheel and quit, have to check the rest This message has been edited. Last edited by: HEMI-LAW, document.write(''+ myTimeZone('Thu, 13 Jan 2005 19:13:04 GMT-0800', '13 January 2005 10:13 PM')+''); 13 January 2005 10:13 PM
Old 01-13-2005, 08:28 PM   #7
shsuhemi

factory lug nut problems

we mess with it all the time at work and they always have to be replaced. the same goes for all dodges and ford lugs. they are just caps not real or solid lugs. don't ask why they just make them like that.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:11 PM   #8

factory lug nut problems

If its only a couple of the nuts, is there an easy way to take them off at home, and just buy the two that are bad, or is it better to take the truck in and have them do it? Also is there a right or wrong type of 22mm socket to use? Would it be better in the long run to change to an after market lug, since my warranty is getting ready to end in about 3,000 miles?Thanks for any feed back you can give.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:04 AM   #9
shsuhemi

factory lug nut problems

it would be ok if you have 20s or the sport 17s the ones with center caps held on by the lugs you are stuck with the OE lugs. yeah they are a pain and they are 22m but even if you use that like we do they just last longer but still will mess up further down the road.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:41 AM   #10
TXHEMI &amp TJHEMI

factory lug nut problems

The previous generation Ram was the same way. I replaced all of mine with an aftermarket set. I see that's going to be a problem with my 17's because of the unusual flange on the back of the nut though.

One more reason to buy a set of aftermarket wheels! I'm thinking about going with a set of American Torque Thrust II's for an old school look. There is a 53 Cheby pickup in this months Truckin Mag with 17X8's up front and 17X11's in the rear. Looks really sharp, and would certainly fill up the rear wheel wells!

Tex