Bye Bye Badyears - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Running Gear | Brakes, Wheels and Tires

Old 11-12-2007, 12:27 AM   #1

Bye Bye Badyears

Well, after nurturing and messaging my stock Badyears for 46,000 miles, my tight British/Comanche *** said the wear bars tell me to put new skins on the factory 20s. After much research, I wanted to go with the Yokohama Geolanders in 305/50/20. My research also had me leaning towards using Discount Tire for the the purchase. Thanks to SHSUII, I'm definitely not disappointed in my decision to go with Discount Tire.
The closest store to me was the Lakewood, WA Discount Tire managed by John. Did my checks on line and got the out the door price for the tires. This local store did not have the Geolanders I wanted in stock, But John said he could get me two in less than a week. I sprung for them and they did an outstanding job getting me into the shop and mounting them. Had them put on the rear axle and was very impressed with the new found traction and handling. I always had to be careful with the stock Badyears, they handled like a hog on ice. What a relief to be able to drive on these wet Pacific NW roads without spinning at every stoplight and on ramp.
OK John, I want two more Geolanders to complete my set! Apparently that was not a problem. He said worst case scenario was an eight week wait if he had to order from Yokohama. This was a Monday. On Thursday I called his shop. He located the very last Geolander in 305/50/20 on the westcoast and special ordered another one from another retailer to have my truck in by Friday to complete the set.
I'm a very happy camper. Cavram rides and handles like a sportscar. The ride is markedly improved, not to mention the traction and cornering improvements.
The 305/50/20s are a wee bit shorter than stock, and have a very impressive width that set off the stock 2004 20s well. I use the Superchips flashpaq, so I was all set to adjust the tire diameter setting to keep my speedo correct. Quite a few members have posted tire calculators and I was ready to adjust my setting with the flashpaq. Did one more check on the Forums here, and read a few entries that said to actually measure the diameter as it rests on the wheel. Thank you kind Hemi owners, you once again have steered a fellow member in the right direction. I checked the stock measurement on the flashpaq, which was 31.75 inches for the stock Dodge 20s. I measured the stockers with a straight edge and tape measurer, and sure enough, they were 31.75 inches. Tire calculators said they would be 32.99 inches. Now, having the benefit of both tire sizes on my truck for a week, I measured the 305/50/20s and they came out to be 31 inches. The tire calculators were putting me at 32 inches. I went with the actual measurement on the ground of 31 inches, programmed it in and I'm spot on according to the local constabulatories roadside reminder radars.

Bottom line, Yokohama Geolanders , Discount Tire , having a three year old truck handle better than new

CavRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2007, 01:13 AM   #2

Bye Bye Badyears

Freeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 07:58 AM   #3
Director Emeritus

Garage
Bye Bye Badyears

Good info!!
MrHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2007, 09:13 AM   #4
Board of Directors (Jay)

Bye Bye Badyears

Superjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 12:26 PM   #5
semo03hemiram

Bye Bye Badyears

General Grabber UHP's are another set of tires that really do a heck of a job...
Old 12-22-2007, 02:05 AM   #6

Bye Bye Badyears

Quick update on the Yokohama Geolanders. Been raining every day for a week and a half, some mornings been at freezing. These tires have excellent traction. Have kept my Superchips 87 octane program without any issues on these consistently wet roads.
As soon as I find some tire chains to fit these beasts, will let yall know how they handle in the mountain passes.
CavRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:04 PM   #7
Getdanet1

Bye Bye Badyears

CavRam,
your post lead me to go outside with the tape measure. sure enough my GY 20's are 31 not 33 like I had programmed on the SC. Got that changed right away.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:54 PM   #8
UPSTATENYHARDCOREHEMI

Bye Bye Badyears

there actually 31.75"
Old 02-26-2008, 10:11 PM   #9
Getdanet1

Bye Bye Badyears

Thanks, I'll take another look and adjust if needed. Right now there's 6 inches of snow on the street.