Brakes Upgrades - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Running Gear | Brakes, Wheels and Tires

Old 02-01-2008, 09:53 PM   #1

Brakes Upgrades

Got an 03 1500 SLT 2WD...going to put on 22's and add some power, so I def want to update the brakes. I've been looking at summit and jc whitney and they have rotor/caliper kits (SSBC is one of them). My questions are these:

Should I go with a set rotor/caliper/pads? Which is what i prefer, for some reason I have it in my head that the set works better together than purchasing them separtely.

Or should I get rotors, calipers, pads piece meal?

I would also like to do braided lines and found a thread on that. At what point should I consider a master cylinder/booster? Being a full size p/u, I'm assuming they have decent oem mc and booster...

I don't plan on doing any turbo/supercharger or nos, racing or anything that's going to require hard core braking, other than flyin down the local roads and highways!

thoughts?

Baines is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2008, 10:24 PM   #2

Brakes Upgrades

i am looking to get the Hawk Brake pads and Powerslot rotors. i have heard good things about them and the price isnt too bad. i will hopefully be ordering those in the next month or too. check out moesperformance.com
badblkhemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:20 AM   #3

Brakes Upgrades

If you won't to go to the route of rotors/pads/and calipers then make sure you go double pistons on the calipers. Make it worth the time and expense. But I just upgraded my rotors and pads a little while ago to powerslots and have been running the dot 4 brake fluid and that has done the job for me. I tow a little bit not much with a large trailer and have not had a problem. This combination has worked well.

AMSOIL now has brake fluid. (had to throw that in)
Hemi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2008, 07:33 AM   #4

Brakes Upgrades

Powerslots and Hawk pads are all you'll need.
Freeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:32 AM   #5

Brakes Upgrades

Thanks guys. I ordered some rotors and hawk pads from 3rd strike and am going that route. What really swayed me was I could do those myself and the price is far cheaper than the big brake kits. a few hundred compared to a couple thousand...easy choice! I figured upgrading the rotors/pads will be sufficient for now. I can always do the calipers later and one of the attractive things about the brakes kits is they utilize the 4 piston calipers...but...one day...I've spent enough the past two weeks to last me quite some time, lol.
Baines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:06 AM   #6

Brakes Upgrades

I plan on adding this same mod to my truck in the near future. My brakes still seem good to go. Only have 41k miles on my '03.
UsmcMan96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 02:00 AM   #7
semo03hemiram

Brakes Upgrades

Quote:
quote:I would also like to do braided lines and found a thread on that. At what point should I consider a master cylinder/booster? Being a full size p/u, I'm assuming they have decent oem mc and booster...
The brake lines are available. They run $250 a set. The MC and booster are fine. No need to upgrade them...only wish the booster was smaller. Gets in the way too much.