#$@!#%!@ Brake light socket - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Running Gear | Brakes, Wheels and Tires

Old 10-10-2011, 09:03 AM   #1

Right brake light has been a pain in the backside on this truck for as long as I've owned it. I have to to take it apart and fill the socket with dielectric grease and it works for a while and then I'll have to do it again. Sometimes it lasts for quite a while, but as luck would have it, when I'm trying to sell the truck, I've had to take it apart 3 times in the last week.

Anyone got any ideas to keep this thing making good contact?

'03 1500 Ram Quad Cab, 4 x 4 Laramie package - Beautiful Black - Umm, does Synth. Oil Count as a Mod?
Flowmaster 40 - GRRRR. 3rd Strike CAI.... hmm.... what's next?

My '03 Truck 2006-2011/My New Challenger

http://www.lovemyoldhome.com
Lori is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2011, 09:03 AM   #2

Right brake light has been a pain in the backside on this truck for as long as I've owned it. I have to to take it apart and fill the socket with dielectric grease and it works for a while and then I'll have to do it again. Sometimes it lasts for quite a while, but as luck would have it, when I'm trying to sell the truck, I've had to take it apart 3 times in the last week.

Anyone got any ideas to keep this thing making good contact?

'03 1500 Ram Quad Cab, 4 x 4 Laramie package - Beautiful Black - Umm, does Synth. Oil Count as a Mod?

Old 10-10-2011, 09:25 AM   #3

Just had a problem with mine throwing the lamp out light on intermittedly.When i checked all the light's i could'nt find any out.Decieded to start with the tail light's.Found the brake light bulb on the D/S had a dark spot on it and the contact's where dark also.(indicating the bulb had got hot)Replaced the bulb,cleaned all bulb's contact's and socket's contact's.Also bent the finger's in on the socket contact's.Problem solved.So try cleaning all the contact's with sandpaper(bulb and socket) and take a small screwdriver bend the finger's in on the socket.(if they got hot they tend to spread) Put your dielectric grease in and you should be good to go.
TooCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2011, 09:39 AM   #4

Been there, done all of that. I tried pinching the socket tighter several times. Cleaning the sockets is where I started the escapade. I'll give it one more go tonight, take it in the house and see if I can't get the socket to tighten up a bit more.

My bulbs are never burnt out. This particular one just wiggles itself out apparently and it's ALWAYS the same one. I'm about ready to get out the aluminum foil.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:19 AM   #5

Lori are you just getting a lamp out light or is the light not coming on? If the light's not coming on it's probably the contact's.There is a plastic stop inbetween the contact's that will only allow the tab to be bent in so far.Try taking a pair of needle nose plier's to the top of the contact's to get them closer together.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally posted by TooCool:
Lori are you just getting a lamp out light or is the light not coming on? If the light's not coming on it's probably the contact's.There is a plastic stop inbetween the contact's that will only allow the tab to be bent in so far.Try taking a pair of needle nose plier's to the top of the contact's to get them closer together.
Yes, I've done that. Yes, the lamp out indicator is on and the light does not come on when the brakes are applied. Sometimes it jumps around while I'm driving and that stupid indicator goes off and on along with the DING, DING, DING, DING, DING, DING... that goes with it. I hate the dinging more than the issue itself!

Old 10-10-2011, 11:14 AM   #7

And thank you for all the suggestions. I'm greatful for the responses. I should have spelled out a little better what I've done over the past few years to try to resolve this issue.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:41 AM   #8
Retired BOD - Doug

Garage
Aluminum foil and electrical tape.

RANCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:34 PM   #9

Lori i don't know if your aware of it,but there is a known issue with the circut board's on the tail light's of the 03 truck's.Has also been seen on some 04's and 05's.Thought this might be my issue so i called to find out what they cost.At Autozone they are $20.This might be the solution to your problem weather it's the board or the contact's.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally posted by TooCool:
Lori i don't know if your aware of it,but there is a known issue with the circut board's on the tail light's of the 03 truck's.Has also been seen on some 04's and 05's.Thought this might be my issue so i called to find out what they cost.At Autozone they are $20.This might be the solution to your problem weather it's the board or the contact's.
WOW, thanks! I'll have to search their site for the part number.