Hemi Truck Club banner

Brake caliper powder coat

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  SUPER BEE 
#1 ·
I see replacement brake calipers powder coated red. My question is, can these powder coated calipers be repainted? If so what kind of paint prep is required, and what kind of paint is required? Thanks

#2 ·
John I bought the complete Power Stop Upgrade Package for all four corners (pads, rotors, calipers) and the red powder-coated calipers have maintained their like new appearance. I also have some MGP caliper covers that I may use later if necessary...not sure about painting over powder coating :confused:.

:GoodLuck1: :thumb:

#4 ·
The Power Stop Kit is what I plan to install on my truck. Since my truck is painted Yellow, I am thinking of painting over the red powder coat, with some high temp. yellow paint. My truck is Yellow/Chrome/Black so I am not sure how the red color will look.

#3 ·
I used high temp paint on the front a couple years ago and they still look fresh. The rear are powder coated and just sbout a year old and look new.

Reactions: SUPER BEE
#6 ·
Yes you can paint powder coat but requires some prep work. Degrease/clean first, sand, clean again and paint. Sometimes you need to use a small brass brush to work into the nooks and crannies to scuff up the powder coat. Your average paint will not stick to powder coat that still has a luster or has not been sanded first. A chemical paint prep is also recommended.

Reactions: SUPER BEE
#13 ·
I don't have the luxury of a shop or a garage. I must do my repairs in the front yard. The temps this summer have been extreme, last week it was dry, but we had 100 to 102 temps most days, nothing below 95 degrees here in East Central Mississippi for most of the summer. I will have to give it a little more time before doing this brake job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.