Balancing Issues - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Running Gear | Brakes, Wheels and Tires

Old 12-12-2007, 11:09 PM   #1

Balancing Issues

I've got an issue with balancing the tires on truck and wondered if anyone else has run into the same problem. I have been taking my truck to my local dealership for my free oil changes since I bought it and every other oil change I tell them to balance/rotate the tires. I come in and pay the difference and go along my merry way not thinking anything about it. The last time I took it in I told the service rep that I wanted the oil changed and tires rotated/balanced. He looked at me and said "well, we can rotate them, but we can't balance them." I just looked at him and said why not? He mentioned that their mechanics had broken some of the chrome clad wheels and ended up having to pay for some new wheels out of their checks apparently.

Anyway, I talk to the service manager and he proceeds to tell me that Dodge has an $800 adapter that the dealership needs to be able to properly road force balance the tires on my truck. I had them pull my service records and come to find out that every time I had been bringing it in and telling them to balance/rotate, all that happened was the rotate, not the balance. The service manager tells me that most people just rotate them, they don't balance them. What a crock! He tells me that he can balance them, but it will not be a very good balance since we can't road force balance them. By this time I'm just wondering "what the hell are doing for all of the other Joe's around here who come in and need to get their tires balanced?" I look at him ask why doesn't the dealership get this adapter so you can service my truck properly instead of halfass? He says that the dealership has to pay for this part and it comes off their bottom line.

Anyway, the long and short of it. I will never have them touch my tires again. I also took it to a tire shop down the road and they couldn't balance my tires as well because their adapter won't fit my wheels.

Can someone please help me here? It seems noone can balance my tires and it just doesn't make a lick of sense to me!

kenb3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2007, 10:28 PM   #2

Balancing Issues

I just had new tires installed and balanced last Saturday (first time since I bought the truck...so havent heard of an adapter issue) at a Discount Tire...I'm guessing that if there is an adapter, they had it because all they do is tires. I watched them balance the tires on the same instrument as they did the car tires on...but didnt pay a whole lot of attention to whether they had to put on an adapter or anything in between. The tire guy even commented on how proud he was of how perfectly he balanced them when I picked up my truck.
Also, I was really impressed with the service there...maybe it was just because I was lucky enough to get the manager to do it for me...but if one is near you, Id definitely give em a shot.
GaTechHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 12:09 AM   #3
The Original Bee

Balancing Issues

Use this link to locate a shop near you.
http://www.gsp9700.com/index.cfm
This is the best balancer on the market.
I have no problems balancing my wheels with this machine.
HemiSuperBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2007, 08:35 PM   #4
Lee

Balancing Issues

Used the GSP9700 locator above and the nearest place was a Toyota dealership. Took my truck there with my Nitto 420S's that have about 10k on them(they are notorious for having balancing issues). Until today I could always feel a slight shimmy about 45-75mph. NOT ANYMORE! Rides as smooth as the day I drove off the lot! Very happy with the "roadforce" balance and they only charged my $34 for all four plus a rotate! Thanks guys
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 08:39 PM   #5
Lee

Balancing Issues

Ohh and one other tidbit...that Toyota dealer probably had the adapter to do the roadforce on the gsp9700 cause as i was waiting around i took a very quick glance at the new Tundra's there and they come stock with 305/50/20's. So thats probably why they already had the adapter there.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 11:10 PM   #6
The Original Bee

Balancing Issues

Your welcome, like I said this balancer is the best currently on the market.
By the way 275/55/20 is the stock tire size on the Tundra. 305's are dealer add ons.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:27 AM   #7

Balancing Issues

Quote:
quote:Use this link to locate a shop near you.
Thanks for the info Mark. I located one at a local tire shop and they said that they do have the adapter to balance my wheels. Already have an appt set up for next week.
kenb3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:31 AM   #8

Balancing Issues

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HemiSuperBee:
Use this link to locate a shop near you.
Thanks for the link, Mark. I had some shimmy that wouldn't go away. Took it to a local shop listed in the locator- 50 minutes and $56 dollars later- problem solved!
Hemi_Blue_Streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:34 PM   #9
The Original Bee

Balancing Issues

Know problem.