Hemi Truck Club banner

Awwww - Nuts to YA!

2K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  3rd Strike Performance 
#1 ·
I stopped by a national tire chain, yesterday, to have my tires rotated. The counter help, turned pitchman and told me that I would need to toss my lug nuts and buy new ones the next time I brought the truck in for tire rotation. The reason? He told me the factory lug nuts were two piece encased with some cladding. Then he proceeded to show me some lug nuts that were rounded off at the corners similar to mine. Is this true and why would the factory do this?

#2 ·
I stopped by a national tire chain, yesterday, to have my tires rotated. The counter help, turned pitchman and told me that I would need to toss my lug nuts and buy new ones the next time I brought the truck in for tire rotation. The reason? He told me the factory lug nuts were two piece encased with some cladding. Then he proceeded to show me some lug nuts that were rounded off at the corners similar to mine. Is this true and why would the factory do this?

#3 ·
I read that the OEM lug nuts are cladded and aren't very high quality. A lot of guys are replacing them with Gorilla brand lug Nuts.

#4 ·
They are cladded the only reason anything would be wrong with them is if they are using a 22mm socket instead of a 7/8 like they should a 22mm is a little to big and it slips around the corners instead of hitting them causing a problem

#5 ·
Originally posted by charged392:
They are cladded the only reason anything would be wrong with them is if they are using a 22mm socket instead of a 7/8 like they should a 22mm is a little to big and it slips around the corners instead of hitting them causing a problem
That's funny, because that is exactly what I thought...That or they're using worn sockets and torquing to 80lbs. I'll need to work-out more if it's the latter...

#8 ·
Yep,they are using the wrong size socket. Unfortunately I did it to myself once while changing wheels.

#10 ·
I just had my tires replaced today. All the lug nuts were junk. I had the wheels of several times myself with no problems. The OE lug nuts suck. If you live up north like I do, the nuts rust up and start to bulge. I have seen this for years on all different makes of vehicles. The Tire Shop had solid nuts for $2.50 a piece. Way better than the stealerships $7.00 a piece for the same garbage!

#11 ·
Originally posted by Chief Howling Wolf:
I just had my tires replaced today. All the lug nuts were junk. I had the wheels of several times myself with no problems. The OE lug nuts suck. If you live up north like I do, the nuts rust up and start to bulge. I have seen this for years on all different makes of vehicles. The Tire Shop had solid nuts for $2.50 a piece. Way better than the stealerships $7.00 a piece for the same garbage!
$7.00!!!
Well nuts to that!

#12 ·
Yep, the Dodge OEM lug nuts are garbage. Go Gorilla.

#13 ·
To keep one's nuts from bulging, they need to be properly service using the right equipment on a regular basis.

#16 ·
Originally posted by MrHemi:
This helpful tool might help as well
Nah, that's for sissys. As you get older you just learn to be careful where you hang them.

#18 ·
The OEM lugs are junk! They have a thin covering over the actual open lug nut that will easily strip, twist, corrode and basically fail after 3-4 years. I ALWAYS replace my lugs with solid lug nuts that aren't open ended. If you plan on using open ended lug nuts, put the lug nut covers we carry from MRK on there to keep out water and contaminants

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.