Anyone Run Cooper Discoverer ATR For Long Stretch and Been Disappointed in Handling? - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Running Gear | Brakes, Wheels and Tires

Old 04-20-2011, 07:31 PM   #1

Anyone Run Cooper Discoverer ATR For Long Stretch and Been Disappointed in Handling?

I've been running a set of 275/55 R20 Cooper Discoverer ATR for almost three years now, have approx. 30K on them. They aren't close to the wear bars but I swear they are handling worse in dry conditions, specifically in a bumpsteer scenario. I do remember when I first got these tires I felt they kicked the stock shityears in the rear end but I'm finding over time, my handling isn't what it was, noticed it this winter in the snow (granted I was having slow leak problems to compound the situation) and now lately when I hit small bumps in the road etc that sometimes the truck feels like it's losing grip.

Example today, I went over the same series of divots in the road (I call them divots as they are not full on pot holes) that normally I'll get a little bit of bumpsteer from them if not ready for them but today man it felt like the rear end of my truck was slipping out. Other times, it's felt like the truck was just gliding, like I was hyrdoplaning on dry pavement. Weird explanation I know.

I don't think my suspension has had it (stock, no lift, no drop), I'm wondering if either:

(a) these tires are just starting to head to suck land

(b) the slight change in size from the stock 275/60 R20 to the 275/55 R20 is just enough of a change with tire wear that my truck just doesn't like it

or possibly both? or neither???

For stock size 275/60 R20, what are you guys finding to be the best four season tire for dry/rain/muck/snow? I think the General Grabber AT2 is too aggressive of a pattern as far as road noise/ride would be concerned. I like the look of the Cooper Zeon but the local Cooper dealer didn't do a very good job putting my last set of Cooper tires and the tire shop I've entrusted lately carries just about everything BUT Cooper.

Toyo? Kumho?

xJO98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2011, 07:51 PM   #2

Anyone Run Cooper Discoverer ATR For Long Stretch and Been Disappointed in Handling?

When my 05 (RC longbox) was new it was terrible, almost dangerous in stutter bumps on a cloverleaf. I did some research (I think that was when I found HTC) and folks were saying it was bad factory shocks. One fix was putting some weight in the back. I added a fiberglass cap and that was enough weight to almost completely eliminate it.

Maybe your rear shocks are getting tired. The Bilsteins are supposed to be the cure, they are on my list! Best price I found so far is truckspring.com
NewBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:12 PM   #3

I've got an Undercover tonneau, not as heavy as a fiberglass tonneau or cap but adds about 60 lbs weight. Maybe my shocks have had it. Perhaps it's time for some Edelbrock IAS or Bilsteins.
xJO98 is offline   Reply With Quote