A great read and an intake question for all of you - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Running Gear | Brakes, Wheels and Tires

Old 01-26-2008, 01:56 PM   #1

A great read and an intake question for all of you

Everyone check out this great article, it had tons of info on the hemi that I never knew:

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tec...iew/index.html

Ok, I have been considaring getting a functional hood scoop with a CAI, that is until my buddy showed me this article. On page 5 it says:

"Unlike an LS6, which has a mass air system that allows the computer to adjust the fuel flow for any given airflow so that the mixture is always right (theoretically at least), the Hemi has a speed density system. This means that any increase in airflow into the engine goes unseen by the rest of the system. If a modification is done that increases mass airflow, such as a cold-air package, the computer has to be reprogrammed accordingly. Fortunately, two companies, Squier Inc and Street & Performance are working on this now and already have what is needed for transplants of the Hemi into other vehicles."

So, did everyone get their computer reprogrammed that got a CAI? I highly doubt but yet I've read a lot of testimony on this site from people that claim better performance with a CAI. So, who's right and whats going on? Your help with this question is greatly appreciated

StanCab05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2008, 02:27 PM   #2

Yeah, still trying to figure out why Chrysler insists on using the speed density system instead of mass air. They say it's for emissions, but i don't see how a more precise tuning system would make things worse.
Freeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 03:04 PM   #3

So would you agree that CAI's alone do nothing?
StanCab05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2008, 05:46 PM   #4
Board of Directors

Garage

At the very least a low mount CAI will draw in cooler air. That alone is good. Of course you get better flow capacity with a CAI, but it has to go somewhere. The factory exhaust is really not too bad as far as stock goes, but a better exhaust will make the CAI work better. My intake setup uses an AirAid MIT tube from the stock air filter box. In the box is an Amsoil EAA drop-in nanofilter. Feeding the box is a modified factory air horn with a 4 inch ram tube from the fog light hole running straight into it. I have a Flowmaster 50 HD 3 inch single in/single out with no resonator. Besides that and my home made IAT power wire all I have is the Flashpaq. My truck ran 14.71 seconds @ 92.17 mph at 1200 feet altitude (and no power wire yet). Not bad considering my 3.92 peg leg and factory 20 inch wheels.

The MIT was my very first mod. I really don't know about any gains with only that done. To me it was the starting point.
HemiByrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 10:10 PM   #5

good find. good read.
madcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 11:24 PM   #6

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by StanCab05:
So would you agree that CAI's alone do nothing?
No. They work, just not as well as they would on a MAF system.
Freeze is offline   Reply With Quote